Chapter 10 - The In-Laws

The next few days went by rather too quickly for Harry's liking, and then it was back to Number 4 Privet Drive. Still, it could have been much worse. This time, at least, his aunt was coming with him, something that he wasn't sure the Dursleys would be able to prepare for, even if Dumbledore had warned them about her.

They reached the muggle platform right on time as usual, and Petunia Dursley looked absolutely petrified as she saw the small figure of Oswin Potter walking purposefully by Harry's side, a small smile on her younger face. Oswin, however, greeted her sister in law kindly, if not warmly.

"Hello again, Petunia. It's been a long time." Petunia nodded nervously, and Harry had to hide a grin as he watched Oswin greet Vernon and Dudley, who looked equally terrified, before they set off to the house.

To her credit, Oswin was the picture of a perfect house guest, even helping with the dishes after dinner that night. Of course, her version of helping with the dishes meant having them float easily from the table into the sink, scrubbing themselves instead of having Harry do them. The curiosity on Dudley's face was interesting, but not nearly as satisfying as the horror of his aunt and uncle at the blatant use of magic in their ordinary muggle home. Oswin was not bound by the same rules as Harry was, and he doubted that with the Minister listening to her every word until he retired she had any rules over her.

Little things like this were amazing to see. Oswin was not one to be bossed around or put down, and she certainly wasn't going to accommodate these people after what they had done to Harry for so many years. She used magic for everything she helped with around the house, and going into the guest room she was staying in was like walking into something out of a fantasy novel, everything floating and flying around.

Perhaps one of his favorite incidents, was when Uncle Vernon was having a dinner party, and attempted to order Oswin herself to decorate the room, saying it was a woman's job. In response, Oswin asked:

"Vernon, what gender is the queen?" Uncle Vernon had frowned at this. Why was she asking that?

"She's a female." Oswin had smirked slightly.

"And are you suggesting that the queen does the housework?" Uncle Vernon had begun to stutter, and Harry had to try very hard not to burst out laughing.

"Well, no, but-"

"Good. Get to it, then. I won't be participating in your dinner, and neither will Harry." Aunt Petunia frowned as Oswin beckoned Harry over to her.

"What are you going to do then?" Oswin smirked again, and Harry couldn't help the grin that spread over his face as his aunt used words he had once used.

"We'll be up in our rooms, making no noise, and pretending we don't exist."

    During other dinners they sat at together, the topic of Sirius and Remus came up, and it was quite satisfying to see the look on his aunt and uncle's faces when they learned that, not only did he have a godfather, but an aunt and uncle on his father's side who were always in touch with him.

   Needless to say, it was perhaps the best summer of Harry's life.