Chapter 11 - What Now?

Now that the kids were back to school, and Oswin no longer a teacher, she and Remus were able to return to their old home. Remus had kept it up as best he could over the years, but he didn't spend much time there himself. He hadn't slept in their bedroom since she was taken from him, it just hurt too much.

It was surreal to see his beautiful wife walking around their home, laughing and smiling just as she used to. Things returned to the way they had been years ago, and they settled comfortably into the quaint little house.

Not long after the school year started, Oswin began to feel slightly ill. Given that he had just gotten her back, Remus insisted that she see someone soon, just to be safe. The news was certainly happy, but the timing could hardly have been worse.

Oswin was pregnant.

Of course they were happy, but with the war looming over them and all the members of the Order ready to go into hiding, it was also slightly worrying. With a few small explanations to their friends, the Lupins went into hiding deep in the Forest of Dean. It was secluded, there was plenty of room for Remus to run in as a werewolf, and they had chosen Sirius as their Secret Keeper. This time, there would be no mistakes. They both trusted Sirius with their lives, and knew he would rather die than tell anyone where they were, especially with his godchild on the way. Harry was ecstatic to learn that he would have a little cousin, and Molly as godmother was already knitting things for the child.

Harry kept in contact with his aunt throughout the year, sending letters by fireplace instead of owl so they would not be intercepted. Not to mention that he had no idea where she was at the moment. It was nice to have a blood relative that he could speak to about his problems. He loved his friends and the family that had grown around him, but there was a deeper connection he felt to Oswin. He would have spoken to Laelynn so as not to bother his aunt during her pregnancy, but the dragon had gone away with the Lupins, in order to protect her rider, rider's husband, and her little hatchling as best she could. It went without saying that Laelynn would always protect the child like it was her own.

Remus was the happiest he had ever been, but the worry he always had still lingered in the back of his mind. What if he passed on his condition to their child? It was a realistic concern, and Oswin agreed that it had to be addressed. After hours of pouring over old books, their worries were slightly eased. It was highly unlikely that the condition would be passed on, mostly because children who were born with the gene would not survive more than an hour due to the strange complications and mutations in their bodies. Obviously this raised a completely different question, but a possible outcome for anyone, and they decided to cross that bridge if they ever ended up coming to it. Needless to say, they prayed they never would.