Chapter 13 - The End

The next time Harry actually saw his aunt, he was supposed to be dead. Remus and Sirius stood at her side with Laelynn, the entirety of Hogwarts and its alumni behind them, but Voldemort seemed to be taunting Oswin specifically. Oswin hardly seemed to be listening, eyes roaming the courtyard full of Death Eaters. Her gaze landed on Narcissa Malfoy, and the two women shared a long look before Narcissa gave her a tiny nod. Oswin didn't respond to Voldemort's taunts, stone-faced.

     When Voldemort called for Draco to join him, Harry hoped against hope that he wouldn't listen. If Draco moved, every other kid with Death Eater family would. But Draco ignored his father's call and looked to his mother. Voldemort spoke again, and didn't notice the tiny shake of Narcissa's head. Draco didn't move, and silence fell once again. Then Narcissa Malfoy stepped away from her husband, crossed the courtyard, and embraced Oswin Potter-Lupin tightly before moving to stand by her son's side. Voldemort was stunned enough he didn't move or say a word for a long moment. 

    Oswin met the dark lord's eyes unflinching. She smiled, a bittersweet sort of smile, and the wind picked up. Laelynn unfurled her wings, readying herself for something. Voldemort flinched. Harry could see Fred and George smirking at that. Oswin was definitely their favorite person now, if she wasn't before. She shook her head at Voldemort.

     "Oh, Tom. You really didn't think this all the way through, did you?" Voldemort glared at her, wand hand shaking ever so slightly. 

      "What are you talking about. Your precious nephew is dead, Oswin Potter, I win!" That was when Oswin's eyes met Harry's. There was no mistaking it, she looked him dead in the eyes. And she smiled. Oh that had to be the Potter genes they shared, he knew exactly what that smile meant. Neville seemed to catch on as well, as he jogged back to Ginny and Luna, sword of Gryffindor in hand. Oswin turned back to Voldemort.

    "Harry chose his death, he chose to protect everyone in this castle. Don't you remember what happened the last time you tired to fight deep magic like that? Your soul can't handle another fracture. And you didn't do enough research on horcruxes, Tom. If you had you never would have made the mistake of letting a bit of your splintered soul near a human it could latch onto." Voldemort frowned.

    "What are you talking about?" Oswin really grinned now, Sirius laughed, and Remus smirked. Looking at them, Harry could see the Marauders. Apparently Voldemort did, too, considering how confused he looked now.

    "A human horcrux dies before they simply run out of years, and only the horcrux inside is destroyed. The person it latched onto? New lease on life. And you brought him home." With that, Laelynn shot a blast of fire at the gathered crowd of enemies, and Harry jumped from Hagrid's arms and ran for cover. A shout rang out from the Hogwarts side.

     "Potter!" He turned to look, Draco Malfoy threw him a wand. Harry caught it, and the two once-enemies grinned at each other before returning to the battle. The tide had turned.

---------------------------------------------------

       The reunion after the battle was joyous, they had suffered very few losses. Lavender Brown would have the scars and tendency towards rare meat like Bill, but she wouldn't change. Tonks had some broken bones and a concussion, something she and Fred had in common, but they were both healed quickly by Madame Pomfrey's skills. Molly and Arthur Weasley had all of their children again, Sirius was a free man, and Harry had his aunt and now-uncle, as well as his baby cousin. He had Ron and Hermione, he had Ginny, and he had Luna and Neville. New lease on life was the perfect description.