Chapter 20

" I haven't seen you before." 

Lavender fluttered her eyes, sashaying over to where the 6th year Gryffindors sat.

The golden rays that adorned the Great Hall, failed to beautify Ron Weasley's eating habits. Next to him, Neville shifted to make space for the Gryffindor witch. The other tables peacefully mingled, not giving them a glance. Even the staff table seemed blissfully uninterested in the proceedings of Gryffindor table. Many were still in their beds, grateful that September 2 had fallen on a weekend. The only reason The 6th year Gryffindors were up was Ronald Weasley. Or specifically the spider that had chanced upon his face. In a united stance, all of them chose to blame Ron Weasley and his obnoxious girly scream.

"I should feel offended" Harry smirked. Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan whispered bets, already having gone through this the night before. Hermione didn't bother glancing up from her book as Ginny discreetly kicked Ron in the shins. " Bloody hell !!" he yelped.

" Weasley! Language !" Professor McGonagall barked giving out the timetables. " And do tell the rest of them to come to my office to collect their timetables." she sniffed, clearly displeased with her student's initiative when it came to sleeping.

She paused when she came to Harry, studying his face with what seemed like clear confusion. The surrounding Gryffindors leaned in to figure out the identity of this newcomer. The Professor let her brows rise in false realisation, handing him his timetable. "Impressive new look." she commented.

The students sank back in disappointment, examining Harry with such a ferocity that made him slightly worried. " So, who are you? " Lavender questioned again,impatiently. Harry sighed exaggeratedly. He couldn't believe what fun he was having. It was unfortunate he had to tell Dean and Seamus, but why would he sleep in Harry Potter's bed if he weren't Harry? But hiding his identity served no real purpose as of now, since he would be revealed during classes anyways. This was just plain amusing. 

"I guess you'll have to wait for tomorrow" Harry said,  adhering to his thoughts. Parvati looked amused at her friend's irate expression. " So, what do you know about Slughorn and Smith?" she asked, changing the subject. Hermione primly shut her book and began to answer, " Horace Slughorn is maybe a decade or so younger than Dumbledore. He was sorted into Slytherin and came back to teach potions in 1931. He was friends with muggleborns despite what his family suggested. He is known for playing favourites, yet is known to be a good and natural teacher. He had a Slug Club where he invited talented members to parties who got to meet other impressive people. Despite his favouritism he knew how to pick them so many of the members have become successful , famous and even rich. He has a wide network, very influential. I heard Malfoy yesterday, saying his father thought Slughorn was a good wizard. His allegiance is hard to determine, as even if Malfoy thinks he's good, Slughorn is Dumbledore's friend, but fled during the first war. He quit for unknown reasons in 1981, and now he's back." 

"You have done your research." Ron said impressed. Hermione sniffed. "Did you expect anything else from me?" she then frowned. " Elijah Smith." she tested the name on her tongue. " As far as I can make out he is very unknown and is good at hiding his identity" She left the or unspoken. Or he could not be who he claims to be.

The Gryffindors exchanged dark looks. They all knew more than else, about the dangers The Defence Professor presented. Suddenly, it seemed as if Parvati and Lavender were reminded about the unidentified student. They subtly stiffened, not knowing if they could trust him. If anybody caught onto their sudden change, they didn't let it be known. "Where is Harry? There is no way he could've slept through that. "

 Ron grumbled, already having been through many such slights. Harry gazed at his friends, wondering what they would say. He could not reply as it would be suspicious. " He wasn't feeling up to coming." Ginny supplied. Thinking that it was his scar they let it go.