Chapter 28

" This is twice the alley has been attacked – Halloween hasn't even passed yet." Hestia Jones commented.

" Which is why we have to be especially careful, my dear. We all know that ulterior motives are in play and we must be able to tell what they are lest the world perish." The leader of The Order of The Phoenix said, unconsciously twirling his beard.  

" Well, what do you suspect to be his motive then, Albus ? " Snape drawled, twirling his wand in hand, as if he were ready to curse the dunderheads that decided it was a smart idea to open their moths. 

" Well I world guess it was a distraction, and I daresay, my guesses do have an unfortunate symptom of being nearly accurate. " Dumbledore smiled serenely.

" Get on with it, you old man" Moody grumbled.

" I fear that Voldemort is trying to perform a ritual. What nature or purpose is beyond me. I have not an indication for anything – ingredients, time, place. Quite a conundrum."

" Then so, how is it that you know that a ritual exists Albus?" Remus questioned mildly. 

" I have my sources, Mr. Lupin." The Headmaster chuckled. The unexpected question caused a brief loss in the sparkle of his eyes. 'Not yet....Not yet.'

                                                            ***

Father,

Out of sight and out of mind seems to be working pretty well. However it seems that my sudden silence is attracting attention as well. It is brief and forgotten but only for now. I think perhaps it is time to start preparation, I leave the decision in the hands of my betters.

Hogwarts is divided and uncertain– at this stage many minds would be easy to sway. 

On another note, Professor Elijah Smith seems knowledgeable and an adequate teacher though he seems to lack....

His odd behaviour at the start of term has attracted attention from the students though the staff seems to have noticed not a thing. He acts rather convincingly but it is rather clear he has something to hide. 

Our favourite six have seem to have come even closer. Yet they remain ever the same in attitude and performance. There seems to be a bit of division from Dumbledore and his pets but seems closer with the other students. 

At present it would be advisable to keep clear of attention and not attract undue suspicions. 

Your son.

                                                                               ***

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Flamel,

It would seem surprising to owl dead people, wouldn't it? However I am uncertain of the subject of this death. Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation? 

To get to the point, However futile and desperate the attempt be, I write seeking audience. 

We both know that it would be certainly difficult digging up whereabouts so a rather straightforward approach was designated. As to the reason of audience, I have been surrounded with a few fakes in my life and I find the stone falls not far from the tree. As does deceit. 

As it does hindsight is 20–20 and if only we had the vision to see the outcomes beforehand. As for visions, war does bring some rather interesting visions and questions does it not? People find themselves going into hiding, protecting their stones and treasures.  No, rather stay out of sights of the harbinger of war, right?