Chapter 10: Merry Christmas

I walked into my room after our family's annual Christmas Eve party, setting down my bags to check my phone, realizing that Sam texted me awhile ago.

Sam: Hey, I'm picking you up at 9, for our Christmas date. Cool?

Me: Sorry, I just got home, yeah that's fine. See you soon

Sam: Dress warm

Me: Why...?

Sam: Because I said so

Me: Ok Mom. Where are we going?

Sam: Its a surprise, all you need to know is to dress warm

Me: ARGGG I cant handle more surprises

Sam: You'll like this one, promise. Now get ready

Me: lol Okay

I quickly set my phone down, realizing that it was already 8:30. I pulled on some fleece lined leggings, a long, thick burgundy sweater, and a brown plaid blanket scarf. Then walked over to my vanity to make sure that I didn't look like a zombie, making a few touch-ups to my make-up and hair.

"Hailey! He's here!" My mom yelled up.

I stood up and grabbed my tan, long coat off the hook, sliding it on, along with a pair of dark brown combat boots. Smoothing out my sweater and taking one last look at myself in the mirror, I stepped out the door and ran down the stairs, greeting Sam with a smile.

"Hey! Will you tell me where we're going now?"

"Hey! No." He replied, I rolled my eyes.

"Ready to go?" He asked, taking my hand.

"Yup," I said, opening the door with my free hand.

"Nice to see you Mrs. Wiseman," Sam said to my mom.

"I told you last time, it's Jaimee, none of that miss' crap. It makes me feel old."

He laughed, "Good to know," he said following me out the door. We got into his car and he turned on some festive music before driving to who knows where.

When we finally pulled up and I realized it was an ice skating rink I knew I was doomed, "Why do you always take me on dates that I could die on?"

"You're not going to die," he said, laughing at me.

"How do you know, I could fall on my head and break my neck. Then where would I be? Nowhere, because I'd be dead."

"I'll catch you. Come on," He said, quickly, getting out of the car.

"Saaam," I groaned.

He opened my door and grabbed my hand, pulling me out, "The only thing scary is that Santa gnome," he said pointing.

I laughed at the gnome and then looked up, noticing how beautiful the rink was. A full moon shown on the ice, tiny flurries of snow fell from the sky, while white twinkle lights lined every surface they could, making it glow, and Christmas music quietly played out of each speaker. I drew in a breath.

"What's wrong?" Sam asked, concerned.

"Nothing," I said, leaning onto him, "It's just really pretty."

"Lets go then," he said, taking my hand, I followed him. We walked up to a small building with a service window to get our skates. Once we got them, Sam helped me put mine on, since I was seriously struggling.

I already knew this was going to be hard, as we walked on our toes out to the rink. The second I step onto the ice, I could feel myself slipping. I clung, with one hand to Sam and with the other the wall.