Chapter Three - Sampson

"Well Little bird," Sampson says with a smile, "the night is still young and you are dressed far to beautifully to send home now. Let me take you to one more place for the night."

I look up and make eye contact through the mirror. "Sampson I will go wherever you want to take me."

He chuckles a bit and pulls back onto the freeway. "So Little bird, who was that boy you were with? You looked pretty close."

"That boy, Sampson, happens to be Gabriel Coleman. We only just met, but I already miss him. He's my friend. Actually, he's more than that. He's my Meanie." I say.

"Well good for you Little bird. It looks like you might start liking Charleston after all." He says.

The next few minutes are quiet as he continues to drive me to an unknown destination.

"Hey Sampson?"

"Yeah Little bird?"

"Do you know where the North Shore is?"

He gives me a wry smile before answering. "Of course Little bird. I told you didn't I? I'm the best taxi driver in all of Charleston."

"That's right you did. I was just wondering if you could take me some day."

"Well Miss Sang, it's a little further than my normal routs, but for you I'd gladly do it. It will take longer than these quick trips though, so you might want to do it earlier in the day."

"Ok. I can do that someday. Thank you Sampson. You really are great."

"You're welcome Little bird." He says, becoming silent once again.

I must have lost focus on my surroundings because the next time I look up we've reached the old money district of Charleston. Looking around I see tall columns guarding well kept, stately buildings. Most of the surrounding buildings are offices or historical monument houses. There is, however, a beautiful concert hall placed in the middle of an outdoor garden. Large fountains litter the walk way up to the great doors. In the light of dusk and the rising moon the garden almost looks like it is glowing.

Sampson pulls up to the beginning of the walk way. He turns in his seat and looks me over once again. This time I'm not afraid of what he will see. Gabriel did a great job making me feel beautiful. Sampson nods again before talking.

"Ok Miss Sang. Leave your bag of clothes here since I'll pick you up later. There's a concert playing tonight that I think you'll enjoy. Even though you won't be able to sit in on the performance, you still look like you belong here. There should be a spot around the side that will allow you to hear the concert. Just keep searching until you find it. I promise you will love the music played tonight."

I nod my head, feeling a sense of deja vu at his advice. How Sampson knew what my musical preferences were, I'm sure I'd never figure out. He just seems to know everything.

Climbing out, I begin pulling out the money in my purse. Once again Sampson tells me to keep my money.

"I told you earlier. I'm escorting you around tonight. It's still the same night so no trying to pay me! Now the concert will be a little longer and you will want to walk around the garden so I'll pick you up at midnight. Be safe Little bird. I'll see you soon."