Chapter Six - Sang

As I approach the gray two story house, the bounce in my step disappears and I slow down. The dull color seems to suck the happiness right out of me. The drawn curtains that never open, the useless door bell, the unused basketball hoop, everything seen outside of the house as dull and lifeless as the inside. The yard was pretty but now it's a pale yellow with weeds beginning to sprout. I'm sure mother will tell father to hire someone to fix it soon. She never cares for appearances on anything but the house.

Moving around the back of the house, I shudder at the groan of the porch when I step on. I definitely need to figure out where all of the weak spots are in this house.

Pausing just before the door I listen for signs of someone being awake. It's just past one in the morning, but I wouldn't put it past Marie to be awake trying to find food. Dad could be home now and in his office working. He's been gone more often though so I doubt it. Mother took her pills but that was hours ago so she might be up now.

Hearing no signs of the living, I quietly use the key I'd stolen to unlock the door. After hearing the light click of it releasing I open it just enough to squeeze through. I enter and slowly close it behind me.

The kitchen is clean still, so Marie hasn't been down. The TV in mothers room is on so there's a chance she's still sleeping. Dad doesn't seem to be home. His scent of paper and ink is still a few days old. I wonder when he'll come back this time.

Creeping up the stairs, I avoid the second to last one at the top. It's really creaky and if she wasn't aware of me yet she would be. I pull the pin off the wall to unlock my door before putting it back in it's place. Making sure I lock it behind me, I turn to inspect my room.

Old mauve carpet stretches across the ground beneath my feet. The bumpy mattress is covered in a faded green comforter. The old stereo is still playing my mix CD from its place alongside the books on my shelf. Nothing looks out of place, so I'm pretty sure nobody came in while I was gone.

Quickly hiding the small purse holding my new friends phone numbers, I change and climb into bed. Mother would be furious if she found those. Actually if she saw any part of my new outfit I would get a punishment. She'd probably claim I stole money from her or seduced some man to buy it for me. I guess a man did pay for it, but he wouldn't take no for an answer.

As I lay back on the pillow I think about the night I've had. It really was something I never thought I'd be able to do while living under my mothers roof. Two new friends, a man who's been more of a father than my own, and two fun adventures. If I never get out of the house again I'm glad I have these memories.

I know I could have waited two more weeks to be free and celebrate, but school will have started and I'll have no time between classes, homework, and a job. I've never experienced what a real summer vacation feels like and I wasn't going to sit around waiting for another year to pass. I'll probably take extra classes next summer anyway. No reason not to graduate early.

Yawning once more, I turn on on my side and quickly fall asleep. Dreams of bright orange clothes and dancing by a fountain replace my usual nightmares.

"SANG!" a harsh voice rings out, waking me from my dreams, "Sang, get your lazy a** down here!"

Sighing, I push myself out of bed. The beast couldn't wait for the sun to rise before beginning its rein of terror. Haha, ok probably shouldn't have thought that. But I have Victor's voice echoing in my head calling me princess, so what else could I call her?

"SANG!"

Oops, I really shouldn't get lost in thought like that. Smiling at the last remaining wisps of dream, I hurry out of the room. I make sure to step on all of the weak spots on the stairs to signal my approach.