Chapter Nine - The Game

As the cheering dies down the announcer continues on. It's harder to understand him now though because everyone around us is talking about the game.

There are so many people laughing and talking. Friends smack friends on shoulders, backs, heads, anywhere they can reach. Weapons are loaded and holsters are worn. Zombies grab headgear and goggles for protection. It's amazing and frightening to see everyone move at once.

I glance around once more before settling my gaze on Nathan. Hopefully these guys will help me figure out what's happening.

"Honey, what's Last Team Standing?" Even the words sound shaky coming out. There's no way I'll be able to play against zombies if I act like this.

I think the boys notice how nervous I am because concern crosses all of their faces. "Sunshine, come here." Corey pats the spot between him and Nathan and I happily oblige. I'd much rather be next to them instead of have a stranger on one side. Although Raven is a great deterrent for people getting to close.

Raven frowns a little as I move away, but the closer I get to Corey he relaxes and his eyes take on a new sort of hunger. I wonder if he needs some food.

Corey grabs a hand and pulls me down into the seat. He rubs small circles on my back to calm me down and Nathan grabs my other hand. I'm surprised at how comfortable I am with their touches, but it's not unwelcome. I can easily calm down with them around.

"Peanut, it's ok. It's just the first game of the afternoon." Nathan says as he traces each finger individually with his own. With his other hand he grabs his open bag and pulls out a grey vest with pockets on it. Hmm, I guess that will cover most of the red tank top. "It's going to be like Capture the Flag, but today we will be avoiding zombies as well."

"We will be divided into a few large groups and two of the groups will battle each other." Corey picks up where he left off. "Each group will be made up of individual teams. The goal will be to get the other groups flag while also keeping as much of your individual team alive." His hand leaves my back as he grabs his own bag. He pulls out a long sleeved jacket with a high collar. "The teams with a majority of members alive move on the the next round where they will be paired with other teams who won to make a new group. So even if your group loses you could still move on because your team is alive. Each round more zombies will be added making it harder to capture the flag and keep everyone alive. Do you understand?" He pauses his movements and looks at me.

I slowly nod my head as I wrap my mind around the game. "So is it important to watch out for your group-mates too? Or just your teammates?"

"You always want to help your group win," Nathan says, "but you can't advance to the next round if you have to few teammates alive. Unless your team captured the flag. That is an automatic pass for the beginning rounds. Some teams sacrifice themselves just to get the flag first." Nathan's hand leaves mine as he grabs his safety glasses and places them on top his head. "The winning group survivors get to buy ammo for 70% off, so even if you don't get to move on you're still getting a reward."

"That doesn't matter anyway, Пчелка." I swing my head towards Raven as he speaks. He's already wearing his vest and has his glasses in place. He's pulling out a holster too that goes over his shoulders to hold both pistols. "We will win. Just watch." He winks at me before strapping everything into place.

I nod and look down at my little pistol. There's no way I'll be able to keep up with these guys. I don't know anyone else though and it's not like I came with a... "I don't have a team!" I exclaim at the realization making all of them stop their preparations.

Corey furrows his eyebrows and Raven gives Nathan a hard stare. "Did you not tell Пчелка?"

"Tell me what, Bear?" I ask thoroughly confused.