Chapter Four - Victor

"You're not supposed to be here."

I stand there blinking at him, my arms still up in the position I had taken to dance with my 'partner'.

"You're right," I say, blinking a bit more before finally dropping my arms, "I'm not. Um... I think I shou-"

Suddenly a high pitched, female voice cuts through the air. "Victor! Victor where are you?"

Fire Eyes starts at the voice and rushes to shut the door behind him as he steps outside.

"I, ah... Um, what's going on?"I say, taking a step back as he moves closer.

"So I don't really know how you got in here," Fire Eyes begins, "but please say it wasn't through that door!" As he finishes speaking he jerks a thumb behind him.

"Um, no. I came from the hidden door in the fence, but-"

"Oh good. Let's go. Show me the way." he interrupts, ushering me towards the fence.

"Okay?" I say slowly, completely confused by his demeanor. Quickly moving to where the wall is hollowed out, I pull the vines out of the way. His eyes flame even more seeing the hidden tunnel and he gestures with a smile for me to go first. Just as I'm about to lean over and climb through the sound of a door knob turning catches our attention. Fire Eyes' posture changes from excited to panicked so I quickly push him down into the opening.

Turning back to the entryway, I move in front of the swaying greenery, blocking my escaping partner from sight.The yellow of the artificial light is the first thing through the door. Next is the sound of fabric moving against itself combined with the same loud voice that was calling out before. Finally, the silhouette of a short, puffy skirt and overly curled hair that matches the width of the skirt makes its appearance. The air moving out of the building brings the strong sent of overwhelming perfume and slight body odor.

The tower of hair barely glances at me as she searches for something. Giving a huff of frustration, she begrudgingly turns her attention to me.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, her nasally voice echoing in the small space.

"Dancing." I say simply.

She looks confused as to why I would be dancing outside, by myself none the less. I shrug, not offering her more than that.

"Are you looking for something?" I say. I'm pretty sure it's my new cohort who's made it safely out, but I could be wrong. I'm beginning to understand why he wanted to run though. Her perfume is astonishingly strong and I barely resist the urge to gag.

Huffing once, she speaks quickly. "Oh, of course! Have you seen a rich young man come out here?" Her voice rising with distress as she continues. "He must be going crazy searching for me so I really must find him soon to soothe his worries."

"Crazy? Soothe?" I ask. He certainly seems enthusiastic in his feelings towards her, but I'm fairly certain he has no intention of letting her soothe him as she said.

"Of course you idiot. Don't you know who I am?" As I shake my head, she huffs again. I'm beginning to worry she may have a breathing problem. "Well I'm Abigail Abbot, an heiress, and the only person worthy of my Victor's love and attention.

She puffs out her chest all I can do is stare, trying to figure out why her name should mean anything to me. Seeing she's not getting the reaction she hoped for, she huffs again, tapping her foot impatiently. Now I'm certain she has a breathing problem. Maybe she has a corset on and keeps losing her breath. She should probably go sit down instead of chasing after some guy.