Chapter Fourteen - North Shore

"'Ello?"

His deep baritone washes over me and I struggle to hold in my gasp. I really did meet him!

"Oy, hello?" Oh no! I need to answer him. He's going to think I'm some prank caller or something. Deep breaths, on three. One, "F*ck," two, "Luke, if this is a-" three!

"Meanie?" I almost whisper. I can't believe I'm talking to someone on the phone!

A small puff of air sounds through the phone and then silence. Oh dear, I hope I didn't call the wrong person. I may have just called the wrong person Meanie! I mean I've memorized the number and I only have one shot at this calling thing. It should be him right? Oh no! What if Gabriel doesn't want to be my friend. Oh this is so awkward.

"Meanie, is that you?" I whisper. I can hear the shake in my voice and I just know I have the wrong number.

A thump and rustle tickles my ear before I hear one of the most glorious, yet terrible, words. "F*ck yeah it's me Trouble. Who else would you call?" I giggle knowing that now I have four other friends I could call after this. I should have traded for more coins with Sampson.

"Not that I mind, but how are you calling me? I thought you weren't getting a phone for another f*cking two weeks?" My cheeks blush and I can't help the smile that comes bubbling out as a giggle.

"I'm using a pay phone." I smile, looking wide eyed at the small box I'm standing in front of. "Did you know you have to put more coins in if you want to talk longer?" I frown thinking about how long four quarters allotted me. "I can't talk much more. I only had a few coins."

"Well sh*t!" I jump a little at the volume of his voice. "Is there something you need to tell me?"

"Oh! Yeah." My eyebrows shoot up and I can't believe I forgot why I called him in the first place. Taking a small step to the side, I look around the phone booth at the off white expanse. The rolling blue of the waves meets with the white foam as they crash upon each other. It's simply breathtaking and I drop my voice in awe. If only he were here with me. "I just wanted you to know I made it to North Shore. It's beautiful Meanie. Your picture really captured that."

I'm unable to contain my sigh as I scan the beach once more. Other than the quiet of the woods and the time spent with the boys, this is easily becoming one of my favorite placed to be.

A small gust of wind breaks me from my trance and I shake my head. There's one more thing I need to tell my Meanie. Heat rises to my cheeks and small giggles escape from my lips. "I need to go," I cover the disappointment with difficulty, "but there's one more thing to tell you." Giggling once more, I finally tell him my name. I really didn't mean to keep it a secret from him, but we just had so much fun. "You don't have to call me Trouble anymore. My name is Sang."

I pause, knowing my words need to sink in. If there's even a small chance he wants to continue being friends with me I want him know my name. The sound of an automated voice interrupts my big reveal and I stifle the sigh threatening to spill out. Gabriel doesn't need to know how much I've missed him. I mean we only met two days ago. But still. He's my first friend and the first person to make me feel beautiful.

"Thank you Meanie." I interrupt the monotone voice. These three words have more meaning than he'll ever know.

"You're welcome Trouble." There's a small smile in his voice before worry seeps in. "You'll call me later, right?"

A giggle escapes my lips at his question. Of course I'd call him later. If he thought he could get rid of me that easy then he's underestimating the connection I felt in the two hours we spent together. "Of course I will." I feel a bitter sweet smile tug at my lips. "Goodbye Gabriel."