Chapter Eighteen - The Library

"Little bird," Sampson calls as he pushes away from the counter. "Are you ready to go?"

I nod and say goodbye to Uncle, who hands me another muffin, before making my way through the tables. Chocolate eyes light up as I reach Sampson. "Hey cupcake, Sampson says I can come on your next adventure if that's alright with you." Luke says with a smirk. My eyes widen and I look at Sampson who is avoiding my gaze while grinning. He totally just set me up! Actually now that I think about it he's been setting me up on almost dates all week.

When I look back at Luke his smile has faltered, though it's still there. My stomach sinks slightly because that handsome face is made for smiles and I quickly smile back to ease his worry. "That would be fine Luke. I'm not going on one today, but I'd love to have the company."

If I thought he was happy before, I was mistaken. The smile he has now is brighter than the sun. It doesn't help that he is devastatingly handsome. "Perfect sugar. It's a date."

I blush at his choice of words and duck my head. Both he and Sampson chuckle as the bell over the door rings. I look up and see Luke's bright smile is still in place as he greets the newcomers. "Come on Little bird. I have a gorgeous client who just hired my taxi that I need to drive for." Sampson says as he takes my free hand and tucks it into his arm.

"Bye cupcake. See you next time." Luke calls as we leave and I wave back at him with the muffin.

As soon as we step outside I push my shoulder against Sampson, making him stumble. "What was that for?" I ask, willing my cheeks to stop burning. "How do you know I'll have another adventure for him to join me on?"

He laughs softly and pats my hand that's resting on his arm. "I know because I doubt I'll ever stop taking you on adventures Little bird."

My smile grows at the unspoken promise and I look up at him with warm eyes. Somehow Sampson became a wonderful parental figure in only a week. "I'm going to hold you to that." I whisper as his eyes meet mine. He smiles and gives my hand a light squeeze.

"As you should, Sang." He squeezes one last time before releasing me to open my door. "Your carriage my lady." He waves a hand in and I'm reminded of Victor, my Prince.

"Why thank you, kind sir." I say with a curtsy before sliding into the seat.

Samson quickly shuts my door before climbing in himself. "So where are we headed Little bird?"

I straighten my skirt and buckle my belt as I answer. "The public library, please. I would have walked, but I thought I'd rather get a ride from my favorite taxi driver." I grin and see him return it.

"We can do that. You have everything you need right?" I nod and hold up the muffin. He nods back and reverses out of the parking spot. Seconds later we are on the road towards the library. "So what are you checking at the library?" He asks once I've finished my muffin.

"I need to use the computer to look for any jobs near my new apartment. I have enough saved to last a month, but I don't want to wait that long to have an income." I keep my eyes on the creases I'm making in the wrapper to avoid his eyes. What Sampson doesn't know is that it took me years of hiding nickels and quarters to save enough for one month of rent plus some. The few jobs I was able to take were single day services that paid under the table. I was lucky that I'd just changed all my coins to cash the day before we were told of the move. I don't think I would have been able to sneak the heavy currency to the new house without being discovered.

"Sang, where is your apartment?" Sampson asks and I look up to find his eyes willing me to tell him it's a safe place. With a grimace, I shake my head and he sighs. "Sang, do you need help? I know a place with fair rent."