11

NEEDING A CRUTCH

NEEDING A CRUTCH

When Clarke and Finn stumbled through the gates with Jasper hanging between them, Cassie had to stop to take a breath. Bellamy and the others followed with an animal corpse trailing behind them - she just couldn't believe it. They had actually managed to hunt something. She hid the fact that she was impressed as she poked the animal, scanning it thoroughly. 

"Something wrong, Cassie?" A familiar voice sounded from behind her. It was dripping with sarcasm, and had a darker undertone. She was glad that she wasn't facing him so that she'd have time to recover - he hadn't been like that the last time she spoke to him. 

She stayed crouched in front of their food, continuing to look all over it's body. "I'm surprised you remember me Bellamy." When she spoke, it was flat and dead. 

He crossed his arms, and eventually Cassie rose to her full height, mirroring his stance. Their was a hint of a grin on his face, and she couldn't stop the frown from creasing her forehead. "Of course I remember Ryan's kid! Your dad and I were really good pals. You barged into my room at the Ark to make sure I was all right after Octavia got arrested, under your dads orders." Whatever faint hint there had been of happiness was erased. "And then a few months later Ryan comes into work panicking that you didn't come home. I tried to calm him down, but when the guards came in he broke down. I had to take your dad back home because he couldn't walk without falling over." 

She couldn't do it. She couldn't even glimpse at Bellamy without the film of tears covering her eyes becoming thicker. In that moment she regretted telling Jay that they were just allies, and that he wasn't with Octavia braiding her hair. Cassie wanted someone to lean on, and Bellamy obviously wasn't going to be that crutch. 

Cassie needed to say something, even if her voice broke. Knowing she wouldn't be able to speak loudly without the lump in her throat making it impossible, she whispered solemnly, "He cried?" 

Bellamy's tense body didn't react. His face stayed stoic and his words were interlaced with so much anger she was surprised that flames didn't accompany them. "For hours. He wanted to see you in the Sky Box, but in the Callous Cassie fashion, you kept getting into fights. Which meant surprise surprise, they banned him from seeing you because you couldn't handle your temper. You did not deserve that man as a father." 

"Don't you think I know that?" Cassie furiously blinked, her teeth frantically grating at her bottom lip again. "And for your information, Bellamy, I wanted to check this... thing for mutations, because I don't want to die from eating infected meat." 

Her feet propelled her forwards, speeding her way past Bellamy. As she did she halted, turning ever so slowly around to him. A smirk involuntarily decorated her face, matching the tone of her following words. "I don't remember you being a guard. Weird." 

Before he could react to her comment she sauntered off, letting her body ooze a confidence she didn't have. As soon as she left his line of sight she felt her shoulders loosen slightly, a breath working it's way out of her body. Without thinking twice about it she sprinted off into the woods, careless to the fact that there was others out there, to find a tree where she could just sit and try not to cry.