18

WOUNDS THAT NEVER HEAL

His fist flew towards her face before she could blink. She felt it before she processed it happening - the spider webs of pain weaving it's way over her face. The sheer force of it made her stumble back a few steps. It was in that moment that she realised just how screwed she was. 

Cassie shook it off, uncaring about the wetness under her nose. She raised her fists in front of herself weakly, her gaze dancing over his form briefly. Under a second she mirrored his stance, praying that she appeared just as menacing as he did. She barely had time to respond to his next attack, dodging out of the way just in time for air to whoosh past her cheek. 

Her heart was pounding in her chest. She was exploding with adrenaline. Her hands itched to taste the glory she dreamt of. 

So she gave it a little sip. 

Cassie thrust her fist forward. 

Fabian deftly blocked the blow. His fist quickly shot out, knocking into her gut and sending her spiralling. Cassie resisted the urge to bend over in pain, breathing heavily and lightly clutching at it with her left hand. He didn't waste a second, his foot kicking out towards her. She jumped out of the way, nearly tripping over her feet in the mean time. Behind her she could hear jeers from the crowd, colourful insults being hurled at her back. 

She really wished that she had cowered away. 

Cassie had little time to ponder her lost chance of escape. Fabian was advancing on her quickly. With each step closer he got, the further her feet took her involuntarily back. It wasn't long until she felt her legs press hard against the edge of the tables. She had no where she could hide. 

Cursing under her breath, she ducked under his swinging arm, ignoring the agony it triggered in her stomach and darted away. He followed her dance. He was close enough that she could see the way he carried himself, him favouring his right side, his left arm hanging limply by his side. 

And that's when it hit her. 

Aidan had said it would be a while before he could fight properly. He wouldn't be able to move that arm at all. Fabian was weak, but Cassie was weaker. This time, she wouldn't let herself be labelled as her inexperience - no, she was going to live up to her name. She going to strike like a viper and spill venom into his veins, ignorant to his pleas for mercy. 

She was going to make him feel a fraction of her pain. Not the pain that he had inflicted on her. No, she was going to overwhelm him with the pain she endured everyday. From the ache she experienced at school, sitting alone and forever alone, watching with hopeful eyes the friends who gossiped around her to the pure torture she returned home to with each of her father's agonising smiles. 

She going to make him experience the wounds that never healed. 

It was like a switch had been flipped within her. One moment, she had wanted to hide in a corner and wish all of this away. Now, she wanted to pummel him into the ground. Even if it did her more harm than good, she wanted to show everyone just how hard she was willing to fight for what she wanted. She was going to show them all just how vicious a girl with so much to lose and had already lost so much could tear them to pieces.