09

THINGS YOU DO FOR ALLIES

Finding weapons was a lot harder than it sounded. Cassie had to scrounge for pieces of shrapnel, see which ones had any potential to have a handle and still be able to stab something. If she couldn't, she might just have to wrap something around it to act as a handle.

Jay stayed at her side. He had started looking with her but when she snapped at him when he kept picking up useless pieces, he crossed his legs on the floor and chatted aimlessly. The constant chatter made her want to get some poison sumac to see if it would get him to be quiet for one moment. All of the words melded together so she couldn't decipher what he was saying; something she considered a blessing. That way she could ignore it easier.

An unsettling quiet settled amongst the two. Cassie blinked, wondering if she'd truly perfected the art of ignoring him that she'd completely blocked out the words. A flight glance in his direction stopped her search entirely. His mouth was closed, his eye's glazed and he was playing with his hands. She recognised this too well - it was something she'd often do to stop herself from breaking down.

Wiping her hands on her pants she wandered over to Jay. She had to dance her way over, being careful not to trip over any random pieces of shrapnel that could impale her. It was clumsy and she nearly slipped a few times but it did the trick. She stood before Jay, waiting for his gaze to lift up.

It never did.

Sighing she tapped his shoulder, forcing him to look up at her. She let a small smile grace her lips, nodding to the place next to him. "Is that seat taken?"

He shook his head, moving over so that she had more room to sit. She fell with a sigh, enjoying the relief it gave her legs.

"I thought you were looking for a weapon?"

Cassie shrugged, "I did. There's fuck all there. And honestly, between us, I couldn't be arsed standing up any longer." Not even a flicker of amusement, or of his usual smile. "Come on kid, lighten up! I'm not good at this whole comforting thing, so please just smile so I don't have to make a tit of myself."

"How can I smile when everyone I've ever loved will die on the Ark?" He exclaimed, his hand fiddling increasing with speed.

"You found out, huh?" She didn't know why she was asking, the answer was obvious. Still she continued to search for the words to use to console him. He'd helped her, it was only fair that she'd help him. "Do you honestly think that they could survive down here?"

Jay frowned at her.

"If your family is anything like mine, you'll know the answer to that question. It's a big fat ass no. My parents weren't built to be brutal, hell my dad is paralysed so he definitely wouldn't be able to make it in the survival of the fittest. From what we've seen, death here drags. It'll probably be better for them to die up there. It'd be less painful that's for sure." Cassie knew by the end she was lying; she couldn't admit that.