BUILDING FOUNDATIONS

Cassie followed the instructions Astrid had given the day before, frowning as she navigated her way around the Ark. She wound down familiar hallways, forever aware of the guards presence and their searing gaze into the back of her neck. Around her the walls were rapidly losing what little colour they had, turning into the dull grey of the mecha station. She could feel the walls slowly close further around her, a telltale sign of how crowded the station was. She tried to ignore the slight racing of her heart at the acknowledgement, focusing her thoughts of taking her feet in the direction Astrid instructed her to go. 

Honestly, she was surprised when Aidan slipped her a piece of paper when she had a brief encounter with him in the market. He had barely brushed her hand and suddenly the paper was crumpled in her hand. If she wasn't so acutely aware of Aidan's presence she wouldn't have noticed the small smile he sent her. It made a similar expression slip onto her face. The more time she got to spend with the pair, the more she realised they loved having a dramatic flair. It was evident in their first meeting, remaining ever present in their current affairs. As much as she criticised it though, it made them all the more wary, making them ghosts to the guards. They disappeared in the shadows, merely masking themselves in the darkness while the guards fumbled to see. 

At first, she'd thought it was Aidan's address. But then her eyes caught onto the note after the address, holding the same level of sentiment that Astrid towards everyone. Don't be late dip shit

Cassie was very late. 

She had tried to subtly pick up the pace without catching the attention of the guards. Her arms swung more energetically at her sides. Her feet slapped the metal a bit more harshly. 

Just one more corner. 

Cassie turned spun around the corner so fast she nearly careened into the mirroring wall. She quickly caught herself, righting her posture, smoothing her hair out with a hand as she marched towards the door. As soon as she reached the door, the door swung open. 

Cassie had to jump out of the way of it's impact. A gust of wind brushed her body, tugging at her hair and clothes. Cassie gulped. This didn't seem to be very good. 

Behind the door, Astrid stood. Her gaze was as stony as ever, her mouth set into a firm line. She said nothing as she subtly peered out of the door, eyes dancing back and forth in the hall. Confident that the coast was clear, she snatched a hold of Cassie's shirt and pulled her into the room. Cassie stumbled at the action, still tripping over her feet as Astrid slammed the door shut, sliding the door locked. Several clicks later, Astrid turned around. At first Cassie wasn't focused on Astrid's stormy face, eyes darting to the door behind her. There were at least three bolts attached to the door, each with their own individual lock keeping them in place. It was as if she was preparing for her room to be a bunker. 

Her attention was ripped away when Astrid's voice snapped her out of it. "Where the hell were you?" 

Cassie knew they weren't close enough for the gritty details. She couldn't confess to Astrid that she had spent the past hour trying to coax her father Callum to sleep, his face stricken with a pain that paralysed his body. She couldn't tell her how her heart broke as he finally fell asleep. She couldn't tell her that she had to take half an hour to recover from the experience, her eyes getting red and nose running. 

When he was like that, he looked like he was dead. 

She brushed it off. "Family stuff." 

"Well this 'family stuff' better not keep interfering with our lessons. I'm a busy woman." Astrid snapped. She rolled her eyes, muttering something Cassie couldn't hear under her breath. Cassie knew better than to ask her to repeat herself; she wasn't sure she was prepared to hear what she thought.