SEVERED CONNECTIONS

They stayed outside of Bellamy's tent, goading him to come out. Cassie didn't get involved, waiting for the moment that he would so she could get the chance to punch him. She'd wanted to do it since the first day on the ground, and now seemed the perfect excuse.

Just as Cassie was about to storm in there and drag him out by the hem of his shirt, Bellamy came out. His hands were held up high, in a mock surrender. His face seemed even more tired than usual. She wanted to pity him - she couldn't find the strength to do it.

"Dial it down and back off."

Cassie giggled, cocking her head at Bellamy. He wasn't exactly in the position to make decisions, especially after he'd been made to look like a hypocrite in front of all of his loyal subjects. It amused her that he thought he still had that power over everyone, when he himself was the reason his crown fractured.

"Or what? What are you going to do? Hang me?" Murphy's bitterness radiated off of him.

Bellamy carefully scoured his eyes over the crowd. His eyes lingered on Cassie's defiant form for a second longer than most, before they hopped to the next person. "I was just giving the people what they wanted."

"Just like the bitch you are." Cassie didn't realise she'd spoken until all attention was drawn to her. She was tempted to spit in his face; she held back.

Murphy ignored Cassie's comment, continuing with his rant. "Why don't we do that now? Let's give the people what they want. So, who here wants to see the real murderer hung up? All in favour?"

Murphy raised his hand in the air, his back to the crowd of people behind him. Cassie didn't even think about it before raising her hand with him, her focus remaining on Bellamy the entire time. She pretended not to hear the gasp that resonated from inside the tent, the voice that she'd grown fond of. Bellamy stared at her in disbelief.

Cassie spoke her mind, voice casual, as if she was talking about what she'd had for breakfast that morning. "She's old enough to know the difference between right and wrong."

When Cassie broke her gaze from Bellamy, her stomach dropped. Including her and Murphy, only four other people had lifted their arms. The rest of them shuffled on their feet uncomfortably, refusing to look at the pair in the eye. Cassie sneered at them.

"I see." Murphy's words were drawn out, deliberately slow. Cassie had to gulp down the fear that arose with that tone. "So, it's okay to string me up for nothing, but when this little bitch confesses, you all let her walk? Cowards! All of you are cowards!"

"Murphy, it's over."

Bellamy set her teeth on edge. Without a signal from Murphy, Cassie drew her fist back, bringing it at full speed towards Bellamy's face. He had no time to react as her knuckles connected with his cheek, spending him sprawling on the ground. Her knuckles were alight, tiny pinpricks of agony working their way up her arm. She shook her fist out as she spat on Bellamy's unconscious body. "It's over when we get justice."

Murphy sent her an approving nod. Her mind ran with all of the possibilities - maybe she'd been trying to ally with the wrong people all along. She needed to find people like her, with a thirst for adrenaline and hands itching for a fight. It made her fate even more secure - the corrupt will take chances the innocent frown upon.

Octavia came rushing out of the tent, Jay at her side. Cassie didn't look at him, not watching as one of Murphy's cronies cracked a rock against her skull. She didn't warn them about the chance of it killing her. She just attempted to tune out the sickening thud.