17

SOMEONE TO PROTECT 

SOMEONE TO PROTECT 

Cries and shouts suddenly attacked their ears from outside the tent. Immediately Cassie jumped to her feet, heart racing as she tiptoed her way to the opening. Getting closer, she could see the teens all running towards the drop ship, pushing and shoving others out of the way. Frowning, Cassie traced their footsteps. 

A yellow fog was gaining on them.

Cassie couldn't withhold her gasp, quickly reaching behind her to grasp a hold of Jay. He let out a cry of surprise and she pulled him to his feet and outside the tent. They stumbled over sticks and rocks jutting out. It felt as though every obstacle had been placed in their path, slowing their journey to the safe haven.

Heart thundering, they hurried their way to the drop ship, joining many others in a mob. Cassie paid no mind to them, pushing them out of the way and dragging Jay to safety. People behind them cursed her as they tripped but she didn't care - it was one step closer to them being okay. She barely had time to gasp for breath as they finally managed to battle their way into the drop ship, stumbling and coming close to tripping over the many bodies around them.

Jay heaved a laugh, his eyes still red raw. "Well, that's something I don't want to do again."

Cassie frowned. "Coming close to dying?"

"Running."

Cassie couldn't stop the hysterical giggle that passed her lips, her entire face crumpling up. "We nearly died and you're more worried about cardio?"

"My stick legs weren't built for that kind of thing. They were built for sitting." Jay paused, accidentally brushing against Cassie as more teenagers piled into the drop ship. A light smirk lit up his face, and something she never imagined passed his lips. "And lap dances from attractive men."

Rolling her eyes, she shouldered her way through the crowd, Jay on her tail. She scoured for a secure corner to sit in, anywhere away from the bustle. It was difficult; everywhere they turned they were bumping into someone.

Jasper's moan was barely audible over the chatter.

In that instant, Cassie felt a light bulb moment. She pressed a firm hand on Jay's shoulder and pushed him towards the ladder, letting him lead the way. He began to protest but Cassie pointedly raised an eyebrow at him - he complied. They both clambered up the ladder and got higher in the drop ship, Jasper's moans increasing in volume as they got closer.

When they shouldered their way into the higher level, everyone's eyes were drawn to them. Jay's flushed face appeared first, his heavy panting attacking their ears. Behind him was Cassie, pushing Jay into the room with all of her might. As they clambered to their feet, Cassie took note of the red veins stark in Jay's eyes. She had to swallow slowly and breathe out of her nose to contain the sudden inferno inside.