"I think it's time I hang up my hero cape."

Okay, so here's my attempt to update with a broken wrist and ribs

Forgive any typos please my loves.

Also, there's gonna be a bit of Vercy in this chapter

The walk back to Sofi's room, for Lauren, felt like she was walking the green mile. The fact alone that the youngest Cabello was awake didn't exactly calm her nerves because she had no idea what state Sofi woke up in and her girlfriend hadn't exactly been very detailed in the message she'd sent.

All she knew as that Sofi was, in fact, awake. And that should be good, right? Lauren was certain that her heart should be soaring at the news.

But then, why did the most uncomfortable of feelings come to settle in the bottom of her stomach when she got word of the news?

Lucy simply watched as the green-eyed girl slipped out of her room with a million prayers racing through her head in the hopes that Camila's sister was okay. Lucy had no idea how she'd ever forgive herself if Sofi didn't make it. Part of her knew she wasn't to blame, it was purely circumstantial that Sofi happened to be in the way, but the larger part of her felt the guilt weigh down on her shoulder like a hundred boulders.

Lucy thought over the events of the early morning and wondered if it would have all led up to this point even if she changed the smallest thing. She liked to hope that Sofi's fate hadn't been predetermined and it was all just a big accident. But Lucy had always been a big believer in fate, it's the only way she could justify meeting the love of her life in an airport so far from their home. Fate had to have played a hand in how she met Vero. And now fate had very well taken what it was owed for that.

Lucy didn't really have much time to ponder on her thoughts before the door to her hospital room was ripped open and a seething brunette stepped through. And despite the fire raging in Vero's darkening eyes, Lucy couldn't help but feel her heart leap at the sight.

And despite the anger that coursed through her body, the second Vero's eyes met her girlfriend's beaten down face...Lucy saw all traces of rage leave them.

Vero slowly made her way over to the bed, her eyes saddening as she took in the broken state of the woman she loved. To Lauren and Camila, seeing Lucy like this wouldn't come as much of a surprise due to her history in high school, but to Vero...to Vero seeing Lucy in such a fragile state was heartbreaking.

"Hey hot stuff," Lucy greeted her girlfriend, hoping humour would disintegrate the tears that were welling in Vero's eyes.

"Lucy, you-"

"I'm fine," The older girl tried to wave her off, forgetting her hands were still cuffed to her bed frame. No police officers had come for statements yet and Lucy had hospitalised Maddy so she was still considered a threat. "This is just-"

"Never happening again," Vero cleared her throat as she finally made her way over to Lucy's bed and planted herself right beside the beaten girl. "What the fuck were you thinking?"

"I was thinking I could come out looking like the hero and you'd reward me with sex any time I want?" Lucy smirked. "Was I wrong?"

"You're an idiot," Vero wiped at a tear that slipped down her face. "You're such a fucking idiot, you know that? What if something worse happened to you? What the fuck was I supposed to do then, huh? Lucia, if I haven't made it clear enough, you piece of shit, I can't live without you. There's no me without you, you selfish bitch."

"I love that you insult me in your attempts to make me swoon," Lucy raised a brown with that same smirk still in place. "Gets me all sorts of wet, baby."