2 | the unreliability of peter parker

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter two
THE UNRELIABILITY OF
PETER PARKER
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter twoTHE UNRELIABILITY OFPETER PARKER└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

GRAHAM DROPS HIS PLATE of cheese fries onto the lunch table with much more force than necessary. Lena, as well as everyone else at their table, jumps at the abrupt clanging sound. Her friend has a sour expression on his face, lips twisted into a murderous scowl as he plops onto the uncomfortable plastic seat next to her.

"What's wrong?" Cindy questions, thin eyebrows creased in concern. Her glossy, pin-straight hair slides over one shoulder in concern.

Cindy Moon is also on the Decathlon team with Lena. She's very nice, but tends to babble on and has a certain flair for being dramatic. She comes from Korean descent and the food she sometimes brings as leftovers is not entirely different from the kind Lena has at home. They've been acquainted ever since the start of Freshman year.

"Flash made me drop my first plate of cheese fries," Graham spits in response. He's glaring heatedly at his food; when he's angry, he tends not to look at anyone. It's fair enough considering his evil eye could cut steel. "The lunch lady saw, but did she let me have my second one free? No, she told Flash to have a good day and threw a pile of napkins at me. I hate this school."

Proclaiming his detestation for Midtown School of Science and Tech isn't an uncommon thing for Graham to do. He truly wants to attend a performing arts school instead, but his parents force him to stay here in the hopes he'll pursue a STEM career like his uncle. And although he's gifted at what their school excels in, music is where his talents truly lie. He does his schoolwork to pass the classes. Graham puts his heart and soul into the arts— it's a piece of him, something you can't have without the other, like peanut butter and jelly. To deprive him of music or theater would be like draining the life from him.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Lena says somberly, then promptly steals one of his fries.

Graham swats her hand away a second too late. "Paws off. I spent all of my money on this. I can't even buy a water."

"There's a fountain over there." Lena begins to point to the space where they're usually located, but falls short. The Homecoming Committee is busy putting up a banner right above the drinking fountains. Their leader, Liz Allan, a senior and therefore one grade above them, stands on a ladder to make sure the sign is positioned high enough. The rest of her team swarms below like bees— Betty included.

She sighs. "Never mind."

She loves Liz — who doesn't? The girl is sweet, responsible, and even though her parents are very well off, she's not snotty by any means (unlike some people). Her wavy black hair is always perfect, dark skin without a single blemish. If Lena shared the same sense of style, she'd want to raid her closet. She constantly appears flawless in pencil skirts and adorable knit sweaters. She'll probably be voted Most Likely to Become President for the year's mock elections.