5 | scolding of a lifetime

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter five
SCOLDING OF A LIFETIME
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter fiveSCOLDING OF A LIFETIME└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

"MR. STARK, I JUST really don't want her to die—"

"She's not going to die, kid. Okay, remember what I told you? Deep breathing exercises? Try those. Just tell me if I need to call an ambulance. That's your job."

Lena's first coherent thought is, Fuck. Her skull is pounding so badly it feels like she may be in the process of getting it pounded with a hammer. As she slowly regains her senses, she also makes note of the fact that she's soaked to the bone and freezing. Her wet hair is plastered to the sides of her face and neck. The autumnal air is cold, which doesn't help her case in the slightest because her entire body is tensed from it.

"Hang on, Mr. Stark," Peter's voice reverberates through the thicket of fog in her brain. "I think she's waking up."

Lena winces as pain shoots to her skull when she tries to blink open her eyes. Slowly but surely, her eyelids peel open to reveal blurry images above her. One of them solidifies into the figure of Peter kneeling over her, mask off, hair dripping water onto her arm, and pale face scrunched in worry. The other is the unmistakable Iron Man.

She gives a violent jolt at the realization of who Peter had been talking to: Mr. Stark. Tony Stark. The genius, billionaire, superhero, and Avenger

"Woah, kid," Tony's voice warns her from behind the mask as her hand flies to her pounding head. He hovers a few feet away from them, small jets coming from his feet and allowing him to float in mid-air. "Stand down."

Lena's startled eyes flicker to Peter for answers. He appears just as confused as she does, though probably about the fact that she is the one who'd been fighting alongside him and not because Tony Stark is here. Jesus, he actually does know—

"How are you feeling?" Peter asks through chattering teeth.

"Like absolute shit," Lena replies, her own jaw clenched from the cold. It has to be close to ten or eleven in the evening, and the cool breeze from the nearby lake isn't doing anything to improve the temperature. "But I'll survive."

Peter does not look pleased with her lack of detail of her symptoms.

"Okay, now that we're all lucid," Tony begins, "why don't one of you tell me what the hell you two were thinking?"

Great. It's Lena's first time meeting an Avenger and she's already getting yelled at. What a great first impression she's made.

"I told you— there were bad guys, so we tried to stop them," Peter explains, fidgeting a bit and glancing down at Lena as she sluggishly pushes herself to rest on her elbows. They're in a park in the suburbs; how long she's been out, she has no idea. The black sky above looks no different than it had before she'd lost consciousness.