9 | free fall

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐
chapter nine
FREE FALL
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐chapter nineFREE FALL└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ─────

THE DECATHLON IS HERE, and Peter Parker is nowhere to be found. The rest of the team is gathered in front of the hotel, Mr. Harrington repeatedly checking his watch with a half-worried, half-irked expression on his bearded face. He continually pushes his wire-framed glasses up on his nose as a nervous habit.

"You're telling me you don't know where he went, Ned?" he questions to the Filipino boy, who jolts at the mention of his name.

"No, he just — poof. Gone," Ned answers nervously. Not only does he not sound convincing in the slightest, but the way he glances away quickly is an indication that he's lying.

"Leave it to Parker to waltz back in, only to abandon us again," Flash drawls as he examines his nails. "Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to take his place."

A collective groan rises from the team as Mr. Harrington gives the spare team blazer to the boy. Peter, for whatever reason, had taken his jacket with him wherever he'd gone.

Lena turns her attention to Liz, who stares at her shoes in disappointment. The younger girl sighs and can't help but feel frustrated with the situation as well. Like Flash said — it isn't fair that he came back without warning, only to abandon them at their biggest hour of need.

Where could he have gone, anyway? None of them know their way around D.C. They're not even supposed to leave the premises without a buddy. Clearly, Ned knows, because they're practically attached at the hip, but he'd probably promised Peter he wouldn't spill the beans.

It doesn't stop Lena from trying.

As soon as the team starts moving, Lena reaches in front of her and takes Ned's arm. He's clearly startled judging by the way his jaw drops and how he jumps at the physical contact. If that wasn't enough of a hint that he's hiding something, she doesn't know what would be.

"Where is Peter, Ned?" Lena questions with her arms crossed.

The boy's eyes dart to a potted plant behind her. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Come on," she sighs, raising her eyebrows. "I'm not an idiot. I saw Peter leave, but I thought he was just going to study somewhere."

Ned's face becomes more pinched the longer she speaks, almost like the guilt is physically paining him. He's just about to pop when Mr. Harrington's voice rises above the clamor in front of the hotel.