Pointe

Okay, okay, but Shawn and Camila as ballet dancers. I know I'm crazy. Also I know nothing about dance I'm so sorry. Please don't hate on me.

-

Shawn pulled his heavy ballet duffle onto his shoulder before heading out into the city. The train to the Lincoln Center was crowded and he consciously pressed his precious bag to the side of his body.

It isn't easy being a principle dancer for the American Ballet Theatre with the practices almost everyday for ungodly hours. His body was constantly sore and his feet were calloused and bloody. But he knew that it was always worth it when the crowds applause would ascend on him.

He watched as a young woman with thick glasses and a loose bun held together by bobby pins attempts to squeeze herself into the busy train. Her equally large duffel as his makes the people around him grimace and scowl. She mutters apologies to the people around her and looks down, picking at the strings of her duffel.

Shawn manages to distract himself for the next twenty minutes and gets off between 66th Street and Lincoln. The girl gets off too and quickly runs up the stairs as he trails behind.

To his surprise, they both turn into ABT's rehearsal studios. She clumsily pulls out her ID, almost dropping it, and shows it to security. An awkward smile graces her face and she scurries to the elevator. Shawn follows and slides into the elevator. The slow elevator is enveloped by silence until Shawn finally breaks it.

"So..." he trails off, "you new to ABT?"

She looks at him as if she's startled, "Um... no, actually I've been here for a year."

"Wait really? How come I've never seen you around?"

"Well, I'm mostly in the corps, but I've been working hard to become a soloist," she smiles a pretty smile, "plus you're Shawn Mendes, our famed principle dancer, why would you know me?"

"Well..."

"Camila"

He clears his throat, "Camila, I'm sure you'll get there. We get to know our roles today. I'm sure you'll get that solo part you're hoping for."

And true to his word, she gets a solo part in Don Quixote; he gets the principal part as Don Quixote of course. He offers her a small smile when he hears her name and she jumps for joy with her ballerina friends.

They're on break when he asks Hailee, another principal ballerina who plays Kitri, who Camila is.

She gives him a strange look, "Shawn, how do you not know who Camila is? You know she's a ballet prodigy right? She won so many national competitions as a kid, literally starting her career at 15. ABT practically begged her to come dance with our company."

"What her?" He points to Camila who's battling her pointe shoes out of her bag.

"Looks can be deceiving," Hailee says.

Hailee's words prove to be right over the next few weeks. Her dancing mesmerizes him. She's a totally different person when she dances. She graces rehearsal with her elegance and form.
He's falling in love with her through her dancing.

Hailee and Shawn are out for drinks one night when he tells her.

"You're crazy," she says, eyes the size of golf balls," you like her purely because of her dancing? You don't even know her. Have you talked to her?"

"Once, in the elevator," he looks down ashamedly.

"Ha! Our famed Shawn Mendes that the girls love so much falling for a girl he doesn't even know and is way different than the girls he actually likes," she snickers.