eight

"What about peacock feathers? Yeah, I bet you nobody's gonna have those at Cotillion." Chad said as he stood on the pedestal with a cape on.

"Chad, when I look at you, all I can think of is king. And fake fur. Fake fur says it all." Evie said.

"Amphitheater in five!" Jay said as he leaned on the girls door.

"Why did the coach make him captain instead of me? I'm obviously better. King Chad though. I do rather like that. You know who else would like that?" Chad asked.

"Who?"

"Audrey."

"She would." Evie said.

"Chad, let's go." Jay said.

"I'm coming." Chad said as Evie grabbed his cape.

"Not a lot of there there." Doug and Evie chuckled.

"Someone's obviously having some trouble dealing with his breakup with Audrey." Evie said.

"Yes. I've been doing the numbers." Doug said.

"Yeah?"

"After we collect from all the girls for their gowns and Chad's cape—" Doug said before he showed Evie the calculations.

"Wow! No wonder people work. What am I gonna do with all this money?" Evie asked.

"I think in the next few years, you could buy that castle you always wanted. That way, you wouldn't need a prince." Doug said.

"You're right. I don't. Because I have you." Evie said as she held his hand.

"Alright, boys. Let's line it up. Carlos, you're with me." Jay said as they got in line.

"Yeah."

"Assembler. Salute. Lower the point. Masks down. En garde." Jay said before they started to practice.

"Keep your center!"

"Eyes on your opponent!"

"Up and over." Jay said before someone started to sword fight with him after he jumped over Carlos.

"Get him, Jay!"

"Watch out, Jay."

"Nice!"

"Jay, what happened?" Carlos asked after the person pointed their sword at Jay.

"Finish him."

"It's Lonnie!" Jane smiled after Lonnie took her mask off.

"Not bad."

"You should put me on the team." Lonnie said.

"Hey, what? No, no, no. We'll be the laughing stock of the league. What's gonna happen next? We'll have girls playing tourney? Come on, guys." Chad said after he walked over.

"So?"

"So? Have you not read the rule book? Section two, paragraph three, 11-4. A team will be comprised of a captain and eight men. Why don't you read the rule book?" Chad asked as he showed Lonnie the book.

"Okay, yeah, but you're down a man since Ben had to leave to do all that king stuff." Lonnie said.

"Exactly. We're down a man." Chad said.

"Jay."

"I'm sorry. Coach trusts me. I'm not gonna stay captain if I just throw out the rule book." Jay said.

"If my mother thought that way, she would've lost the war." Lonnie said before she walked away.

"Okay. Rule book. Rule book." Chad said.