eighteen

"Who else knows about the crown and the scepter?" Mal asked.

"No one. Think about it. People are scared enough as it is. We have to employ these entirely new security measures." Carlyn said.

"Will this delay our bringing over more VKs?" Mal asked after she and Evie looked at each other.

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good."

"But you said no. The five of us are living the dream here and we finally get to share that. What could be more important than that?" Evie asked.

"Yeah. I know. Maybe security or maybe peace of mind for everyone in Auradon." Carlyn said after she sat down.

"Is that what they're thinking? Were they seriously thinking that no one will ever go in or out of the Isle ever again? What? We never get to go back and see our parents? What about these kids? We promised them that they could go back and visit whenever they wanted." Evie said as Mal nodded.

"Yeah, I know."

"Car, we are so glad that you're gonna be queen. You will be apart of these conversations. You will stand up for the VKs. Thank you for telling us. You're gonna be a great queen." Mal said as she and Evie hugged Carlyn. 

"Morning. Got the beach towels." Evie said as she put the towels in the basket.

"Sorry. Morning." Jay said as Carlos walked in.

"These."

"Hey."

"I really think she's gonna like the cake, you guys." Carlos said as Evie tossed apples to Jay.

"Oh yeah?"

"Oh no. Okay, who got into Jane's cake?" Carlos asked after he saw that a corner was missing from the cake.

"Delicious."

"I especially love the lack of dirt." Celia said as she and Dizzy ate some cake.

"And the lack of flies." Dizzy said before Celia nodded.

"Want some?"

"Thank you."

"I was hoping you were home." Audrey said after Carlyn walked outside.

"Is this a joke? What are you doing with the crown and the scepter?" Carlyn asked.

"Well, I wanted them, so I took them. You of all people should understand that, Carlyn." Audrey said before Carlyn put her purse down.

"Wait. Audrey, stop! Don't use that." Carlyn said before Audrey looked at her.

"I thought you liked spells."

"Okay, Audrey, you're better—" Carlyn started.

"Quiet!"

"It's not a toy. It's dangerous!" Carlyn said.

"I wanna be dangerous. My life was perfect until you stole it. Then Auradon turned its back on me. Well, it's time for a little payback." Audrey said before she aimed the scepter at Carlyn, turning her into an old lady.

"Audrey, wait!"

"You think Ben will love you now, you old hag? You'll pay the price of what you did and so will all of Auradon. So long, suckers!" Audrey said before she left after Celia, Carlos, Mal, Evie, and Jay ran outside.

"Whoa! You might wanna think of a spell for that." Jay said after he turned to help Carlyn up.

"There's no spell that can reverse the curse of the scepter." Mal said with a sigh.

"Well, that's a shame." Carlos said as he looked down.

"Forget about me. Audrey's out for revenge. All of Auradon is in danger." Carlyn said.

"What should we do?" Evie asked.

"The only thing more powerful than the scepter is Hade's ember." Carlyn said before Mal and Carlos looked at her.

"Oh! Like he's just gonna hand it over. Give them back to the Isle." Jay said as he rolled his eyes.

"No one knows where his lair is." Mal said.

"I do. I'm his errand rat. I've got the key at my dad's." Celia said.

"You're coming."

"But I just got here." Celia sighed.

"Carlyn?"

"Dizzy, stay here to take care of the twins. We'll be right back and everything will be just fine. Go inside. Guys, go get your stuff." Evie said before Celia and the boys went inside.

"Come on, boys. Let's go." Dizzy said before she and the twins went back inside.

"How bad is it?" Carlyn asked before Evie and Mal looked at each other.

"You age beautifully, Liv." Mal said as Evie nodded.

"Now let's just get you into something fabulous." Evie said.

"Okay."

"Come on. Okay. Oh yeah. There we go." Evie said as she and Mal helped Carlyn inside.

"Okay."

"Almost there."