Survivor

It's been months since I've last talked to people. I've seen lots of groups get killed, so I stayed by myself. No other mouths to feed. No one else to protect. No one to morn over once they die. I had only one plan and that was to go towards the mountains to hopefully find a cabin I can stay in during the winter. It was about noon and I was checking my traps.
"Fuck" After checking my sixth and last trap I kick a half eaten rabbit.
"Fucking stupid walkers" I had 2 out of 6 rabbits that were edible.
"Maybe I should go back it's getting dark" I turned around quickly because I heard a stick snap and leaves crunch. I knelt down behind a bush and reached down to my hunting knife that was strapped to my thigh. The noise came closer. It was a couple feet away from me now. Wait is that panting. I slowly stand up and see a dog.
"Hey boy" the dog wags its tail and barks. It runs a couple feet away from me and barks again.
"Do you want me to follow you" It barks again. I follow the dog to a clearing and see someone laying a little farther away.
"Is that your owner?" Slowly making my way towards the person I get my pistol out of my backpack and aim it at the guy laying on my ground.
"Hey Stanley you found someone good job" the guy pets the dog but I can tell he's in pain. I scan his body and see that he has an arrow in his right leg.
"You friendly?" I question him still not putting my gun down.
"Yeah"
"How can I trust you?"
"I made *groan* my dog look for help" he says through gritted teeth.
"Good point" we sit in silence for awhile before I speak up.
"Okay...I'll help with your problem"
"Really?" I nod. He grabs his bag and I help him back to my makeshift camp.
"Thanks" he looked up at me with a weak smile. I nodded while I worked on wrapping his leg.
"What's your name" I ignored his answer. He frowned.
"I'm Nathan" he looked at me again expecting me to answer. But I ignored him again and avoided eye contact. I didn't mean to be rude I just haven't talked to a person in months.
"There" I stood up and made my way outside the shelter. Stanley followed me.
"Hey Stanley...you hungry?" I reach into my bag and pull a half eaten apple and gave him a piece. He goes back into the shelter. I look over and see that he gave it to Nathan. I chuckle and set my attention on skinning the two rabbits.

A couple hours pass and Nathan makes his way out of the tent.
"You don't talk that much do you?" He sits on the ground.
"Don't have a need too" I blankly say, while putting a few logs in the fire pit. He pokes the rabbit fur that's laying on a rock.
"You hunt?" I sigh at him trying to make conversation.
"Yes. You know I like it when it's quiet"
"I don't makes me uncomfortable "
"You need to learn to be comfortable with it...it's all thats left these days" Stanley sits beside him.
"You believe that?"
"I do....listen I'm trying to start a fire so" I put my hands on my hips.
"You want me to shut up?" He smiles, I set on making a fire again.
"At least tell me your name" I sigh
"Please" he's pushing it
"Fine, its y/n"
"Pretty" I roll my eyes, God that was cheesy. I reach for my matches. Shit I only have four left gotta make these last ones count. I grab a bunch of dead leaves and put them in the middle of the wood pile. I light the match and gently put it in the leaf pile. It successfully lights and I add a couple twigs.
"You're good at that" Shit. forgot he was here.
"Thanks been doing it for years" I put a rabbit on a stick and put it on the cooking stand I made a few weeks ago. A few minutes of silence passed while waiting for the rabbit to cook.
"Do you have a group y/n?" I straighten up.
"No...not for a while it's better being alone" I try my hardest to sound emotionless. I turn my attention back to the rabbit.
"Looks close to being done" I clear my throat.
"I just lost mine" I feel bad for him, I know how he feels.
"Do you really think being alone is better than a group"
"It is" My head starts to hurt.
"Isn't it lonely" why does he have so much questions.
"At first but you get used to it"
"Huh I don't think I could do it" He sits up.
"How long?" So many questions, I haven't talked this much.
"About five months"
"All alone?"
"Listen I don't feel like talking about this right now so how about we eat" I put the rabbit on a piece of cardboard.
"Sure"