p h o n e

It was customary for inmates to have one phonecall, so when Jungkook begged to use a phone just once, they allowed it.

His first encounter with Y/N had led him to want to know everything about her. Her address, her date of birth, her phone number, everything. He'd stored them in his head, ready for use in case she wouldn't comply.

"You have five minutes."

The guard left him, chained to the phone box, his hands shaking.

Sweat dripped down his forehead as he typed in her number, a slight feeling of hope in his chest.

He knew she wouldn't pick up, that he was wasting his one call. But he couldn't help himself.

He could hear his heartbeat in his throat as it rang, once, twice. Another time. And again.

Then it stopped. Her voice sounded in his ears, tears brimming.

"Hiya~ I'm sorry I couldn't get to the phone in time, I'm probably asleep at the moment. Call back later, but not too soon because I'll probably still be asleep." she laughed lightly befits continuing. "But yeah, leave a message after the beep!"

A hand came to his face, muffling his cries. Her voice, so chirpy, had sounded happy. She'd laughed.

If he'd just left her alone, she would still be able to laugh like that. She would still be alive.

"I love you so much, Y/N," He said through choked sobs, hoping that somehow she could hear him.

"I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry.."

He closed his eyes, trying to stop the tears from flowing.

"I couldn't protect you... It's my fault that you're gone! If I'd just tried a bit harder then you would still be OK, you'd be at home, alive and well! Please, just come back to me..."

He could feel his legs giving out beneath him as he shook, falling to his knees.

The phone beeped as his time ran out and he slid along the floor, crying intensely.

They'd been monitoring his call. What they had expected was a call to some other heartless criminal, so they'd been shocked.

"Maybe he has more feelings than we thought."

They took him back to his cell, seeing him in a different light. He felt regret. Remorse. Sadness.

Now, at least, they saw him as human.