Chapter 12: Family

Caroline's POV

"Mommy! That's not have you do a fish braid!" Lizzie yells, laughing.

"Well, you do kinda look like a fish," Josie giggles.

I stare at Lizzie in the mirror and have to admit I did kind of messed it up. "That youtube video is awful! It's too fast and very... incomprehensive."

My girls look at each other, frowning.

"What's incompret..."
"Inconprehen...?"

I laugh. "It's a big word for saying it sucks!"

"Ahh!" Josie covers her mouth.

"Mommy said the s word!" Lizzie giggles.

"No, the s word is shiii..." Alaric calls from behind.
Everyone looks at him, leaning at the door frame.

"Oh-oh!" I say standing up, "I think daddy will spoil you too, brats," I tickle both of them as they try to run away and we end up on my bed, fighting and laughing.

I see Ric's nostalgic smile. I know what he is thinking. And he's wrong. We could never be that family. The kind where mommy and daddy kiss discretely every morning after having had wild sex the night before, while their children scream at them, shy. The kind where I make breakfast before all of them come downstairs and we laugh together as the girls spill the cereal.

We could never. Even though he thinks we could. Because I will never be able to get Niklaus Mikaelson out of my damn head.

Just as the thought runs through my mind, my phone rings.

I look at the screen.

Speak of the devil...

I don't contemplate answering or hanging up. I immediately pick up the phone.

"Klaus?"

Shit. My voice seems so desperate.

"Hello, love."

And with those words, my world is turned upside down.

I clear my throat, walking out of the room to the hallway, a more private place, away from Hope.

"Is that really you?"

He laughs his charming laugh. "Were you expecting someone more fun?"

"Hardly," I smile. "I just can't believe I'm hearing your voice at last.

"I told you I will never let go of you."

My heart blows and almost explodes. "I wasn't sure if you intend to keep onto that promise," I try to sound playful.

"Always," he replies without a note of playfulness. "All promises I made to you were real. You know that, Caroline."

My mouth is dry all of a sudden. "Does this mean you've found a solution?"

I hear him smile. "I have. At least a solution to seeing you without hurting my daughter."

"That's... amazing, Klaus! What did you do?"

He becomes his charming self again. "Not so fast, Miss Forbes. I would hate to ruin a perfectly good surprise. I suggest a meeting in Charleston. North Carolina. I will explain everything there. In detail," he says seductively.

"Charleston? When? I can't just leave on a day's notice, Klaus, I have kids and a school to run and..."

He shushes me politely, taking tasteful control as usual. That is his specialty. "You needn't worry about any of those things, love. Just prepare a small bag of luggage for next weekend. The plane ticket is set to arrive at your address tomorrow."

Before I can start gushing again, he continues confidently. "I'll be seeing you soon, Caroline."