Chapter 19: Texting

Caroline's POV

That morning, I wake up with the same thought as the day before. Klaus.

I reach for my cellphone, insert a new sim card and start typing. It has become my routine. I can't imagine not doing it anymore.

It's been a month since I haven't heard from him and I feel so empty.

*Losing you was the worst mistake of my life. I have never loved a man the way I love you.*

No reply comes.

I manage to get up somehow and go see my kids. They're the only ones who can pull me of this mess every now and then.

I spend the entire day doing the same chores, over and over again, as if I became senile. I simply can't dedicate my full attention to a purpose anymore. The Sun goes down finally. It feels like years have passed.

In the afternoon, I text something again.

*Nothing brings me joy anymore. Have you ever felt like colors exist only to irritate you?*

A response! I squeal excitedly. Maybe I should use question marks more often...

It's not Klaus. It's actually a text to my old phone.
From Hayley.

*Hey, Caroline. Please call me when you can. We need to talk.*

I frown and dial her immediately.

"You're fast," she picks up.

"I wasn't doing anything important," I mumble. I don't want her to know I only called hoping she'd bring me news about Klaus.

"Oh, okay. I actually wanted to talk to you about Klaus."

Yes!!

"Oh?" I fake surprise. "What about Klaus?"

"Well," she clears her throat. "I don't know if I should do this, but... I will, anyway. Just don't say you heard it from me."

"Yeah," I say impatiently, "No problem."

"He's back in New Orleans."

I clung to my phone so that it doesn't fall to the ground. "Oh," is all I can say.

"Anyways, I just thought you'd like to know. He's very depressed, by the way. You know...in his own Klaus-way."

I nod as if she can see me.

"Alright... well, that's all. I have to go now."

I force myself to speak. "Sure. And Hayley?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks..."

"No problem."

She hangs up. And I realize I'm already on edreams.com booking a plane ticket.

God help me.