Chapter 13: The Big Question

Klaus' POV

I occupy myself with a buffet full of some strange human food. I pretend to enjoy it, so I can avoid people approaching me and asking boring questions.

A few people already approached, asking whether I was here for the bride of the groom. Neither is accurate. I'm here for a bride to be.

Just as the best man and his partner take the dance floor, something changes.

I sense her coming long before she enters the decorated tent.

She stops at the entrance, swiftly looking left and right, and it doesn't take her more than three seconds to locate my handsome self.

I watch her glide towards me, wearing a lovely scarlet gown. It is made of chiffon silk, floor length with a high leg cut, and a strapless corset that makes her breasts to die for.

I walk towards her as well. A lady that beautiful should never take all the distance.

"Thanks for the dress," she says meeting me half-way.

"The dress should be thanking you," I take my hand out, inviting her for a dance.

She accepts it. "I do make it look nicer than it is."

"Way lovelier," I lead her to a side, where we can have more privacy as we dance.

She looks around at the wedding reception, contemplating. "Strange place you've chosen for a reunion. I doubt it's someone you know."

I smile, amused. "I'm interested in hearing your theories."

"Well, for one, the groom is very badly mannered towards his bride," she frowns watching him lift her dress and laugh to his friends. "I know you'd never be friends with someone like that."

I laugh. "You do know me afterall."

She tilts her head sweetly. "I do a little bit." Her mouth stretches into a satisfied little smile.

"The reason I've invited you here," I send her into a twirl," is because I wanted an excuse for you to look like a princess tonight."

"Don't I always?" she plays.

"You most certainly do," I twirl her again. "That is why I chose a secluded place for a dance. We are way too handsome for the bride and her little pony."

She laughs, enjoying. "Stealing someone's thunder at their wedding ceremony would really be distasteful."

"I agree, Miss Forbes. Plus, I'm too possessive to share your look with anyone else."

She pouts, as if not believing my words. If only she'd know.

"You haven't explained, though, why is it important that I look my best tonight? What's so special about today? Don't tell me it's your birthday... I'd hate it if you were a virgo. Doesn't suit your character at all."

I laugh. "I am a Leo, love. Just like you."

"How do you kno- oh," she remembers, "You saved my life once on my birthday."

"Aren't I the luckiest man alive..."

"Don't avoid my questions. Why is today important? And what is your date of birth?" She insists.

I smile mysteriously. "Relax and enjoy the dance, love. All will come in time."

She grunts. "I hate it when you do this to me."

I laugh, loving every second of our lovers' quarrel.

We danced until the band decided to take a break. I figured it is a nice time to take her out on a lovely decorated balcony.

The view is amazing. Moonlight, candles lit in the yard, a lovely lake sending relaxing sounds of countryside...

I turn to Caroline, taking a glass of champagne out of her hands and placing both hers and mine on the balcony stone fence.

"You asked me why earlier," I start knowing no introductions are needed. "The answer is... So that when you remember this day, you can imagine us like this."

She makes a funny face. "I would prefer to imagine us wearing way less clothes."

"Miss Forbes, you sometimes have a mighty filthy mouth. We will be undressed soon enough, but in this moment, I have to ask you..." I take her hand and kneel in front of this woman. The only person I have ever knelt before. "Caroline... do you share my heart's desire to spend the rest of eternity on this planet with me by your side? Not always," I reach for a little ring box inside my suit pocket and open it in front of her, "but surely forever."

She covers her mouth.

I think I see tears in her eyes as she nods repeatedly, excited beyond words.

"Yes! Yes, I do, Klaus."

I smile joyfully, feeling like a boy. I haven't felt like that in a really, really long time.