Chapter 9: Warren

Warren's POV.

We run.
Without a single breath of hesitation we run and run- our feet falling in an irregular rhythm upon the dry earth. My eyes, having not been outside for many months, are burning, causing my vision to become blurred and hazy. Around us the land is unnaturally flat, creating the sudden realisation that the terrain from where we entered the vault was nothing like the current surroundings. Impossible. The soil is a scorched gold that has coated any form of nature that once lived there. We don't dare look back as we stagger manically away from the exit of the vault, the only sound from either of us being the desperate wheezing of me exhaling from my soil-filled lungs. Heatwaves cause my vision to shake uncontrollably in a last hopeless effort to stay running. We are screwed. Sweat beads trickle down my rough skin as I try to endure as much of the sweltering heat as my exhausted body can take. Defeated is futile. I hear the screams of my pursuer in the distance, cursing me. I will die.

"What the f..."
The unthinkable happens.

Off in the distance a city emerges. Although deserted and menacing, it suddenly becomes the beacon of hope that we need. Both Ben and I pick up the pace and jolt forward, charged by the adrenaline from our new found motivation. Minutes pass as we near the skyscrapers, all with crumbling brickwork and shattered windows which, if not for our fear of what is behind us, would seem terrifying and ominous. My heart pounds frantically as our feet eventually meet the rough rubble road which lead towards the entrance to the area.
"We've only gone and done it!" Ben pants as we slow our run slightly.
"I wonder what the hell went on here." I question as my gaze darts up towards the giant structures which loom ahead of us.
Suddenly a loud bang echoes ahead of us, causing us to dart a quick look towards one another instinctively.
"I think we are about to find out." Ben whispers as two figures emerge ahead of us clumsily.

We run towards the unknown shadows out of both fear and curiosity, what the hell are these things?