Chapter 13: Training

I stare in amazement. “Okay, your turn,” Axel says as he hands me the chains. Wrapped in chains and his arms and legs tied to different bars, Axel broke free and did 125 pushups followed by a series of flips. Then, he climbed up the trees and silently traveled through them, slyly setting traps along the way. To finish this off, he flipped in the air and slid across paper maché vines. Finally, he sprinted toward the finish line while breaking at least 50 iron puppets controlled by Clio.

It’s my turn. Dear God, spare me. Now I am tied in chains. The horn goes off. Axel broke though these as if it was water.

His power allows him to gain unbelievable amount of strength and speed while Clio can control objects and people. Lucky me, I read a lot. I read that my purifying power is a form of liquid.

I relax myself. I take myself away from this world. I close my eyes. I feel myself slipping though the bars. Yes, I am now a liquid-and I can become see-through! I do so- the enemy cannot see me with bare eyes. I make my way INSIDE the tree, setting even more traps and avoiding Axel’s traps. Iron puppets approach. They slip and crash into each other, causing them to break. I slid to the finish line.

My time: 34.51 seconds.

Axel’s time: 12.21 seconds

I’ve got a long way to go. Clio nods, “I thought you would do terribly. You only did badly. Good, next.”

Somehow, that makes me feel even worse, even though it’s true.

Since we don’t have a lot of time, Clio and Axel are making me go though battles and optical courses that train more than just one factor. I already learned how to control my powers naturally. I already ready about everything there is to know about my power. I already read about everyone else’s power.

I have the brains. I know disadvantages and advantages of each-including mine.  My power dies out when I fear things. Lucky me, I’m not scared of anything I know of. Axel says that only makes the fear of my weakness worse, because “of the lack of not knowing how to deal with fear,” as Axel puts it.

Well, it doesn’t matter. As long as someone is there for me, I’ll be fine.

“Come on, time to take the SBA,” Clio instructs.

SBA- Survival Battle Act

Basically, you’re thrown into a rectangular arena with different kinds of climates (forest, woods, desert, etc). In each section, there are series of obstacles to face. After going through all, there is an exit up a head. To get out, you have to fight the opponent or opponent in front of you.

Well, here I go. I make my way to the first one-the desert.

The moment I step onto the dry ground, the “sun” absorbs my powers and instantly dries my mouth. My skin starts turning red, stinging all the while. I squat in the shade of the cactus. I look around for any sign of animals for plants.

A cobra. More cactuses. A scorpion. Where there are animals and plants, there should be some water not too far.  While I sit in the shade, I take the needles off a cactus and drink the stored water inside it. Then, I use what is left of the cactus to shade me as I follow the scorpion. I follow it to an oasis. Yes! I sprint to the water and drink some. I pack some water into the cactus bowl and continue forward.

Soon, I see the borderline. In big, capital letters the sign says “MOUTAINS.” I open the gate and step inside.

I am greeted by a snow tornado. I get sucked up in the tornado, the winds cutting me and the coldness making my skin sting. I look down at my clothes. Shoes laces. Shirt laces. Bracelet laces. Then I look around and spot some Evergreens-perfect. I begin to tie all the laces I have together, swing the lace to a tree, and pull. I reach out with my arms and pull. Slowly, I adjust to the pattern: reach, pull, reach, pull. I make my way to the ground and sprint forward, making puffs of snow go behind me.

I can no longer see the tornado, but I am cold and hungry. Since there are evergreen trees everywhere, I will use that to my advantage.  I chip some wood off and make a bow and arrow, a sharp stick and some other tools. I calm myself and listen. I hear the crunching of snow to my left. I open my eyes and see a deer. I aim. I let go of the bow.

The animal is dead. With a sharper tool, I take the fur off of it and wrap myself with its fur. Then, I make a fire with some extra wood and cook the animal. I eat it, and sprint forward.

Not too far off in the distance, I spot a sign that reads “EXIT.” I have to be careful now, my opponent will try to take me by surprise.

I sprint to the exit on full guard. The wind whips violently races through my hair and my hair whips my cheeks, making a slapping sound. I am so noisy, not sneaky in any way. Through all the noise I make, I hear the crunching of snow. I aim and shoot.

The arrow whips thought the air like a needle. Axel grabs the bow with his bare hands and throws it back to me. I smile. I have very thin laces attached to the bow. I move my fingers, and send the arrow back to Axel. He does, but he falls within my trap. Another hidden arrow comes from behind him, and Axel jumps into the air to doge.

I cut another string. Cutting this string send arrows from all around flying and coming at Axel. These bows are filled with this numbing drug I made with my powers. One drop of it in his body will drop him for a few hours (I didn’t make it that powerful).

Just as planned, Axel used his speed to get all the arrows and came right at me-or what he thought was me. In reality, he came at a puppet me I made controlled by the thin laces.

Axel punches the puppet with a force, and a gas comes out. I call it gas-that-makes-you-pass-out-the-second-you-inhale-it. Creative name, right? PS: The name of the gas doesn’t give anything away!

Axel inhales it and feels re-energized. He explodes in energy, causing him to lose control of his energy. His energy explodes into the air.

He falls to the floor because he is out of energy.

I win!

I hear the speaker come on, “Autumn is the winner of the match. Please proceed to the exit.”

I sprint to the exit. I open the door.

“Good job,” Clio congratulates me.

I beam with pride, “how long did I take?”

“A few days,” Clio answers. My mouth drops.

“There is no way to keep track of time in there,” Clio explains. “The time tries to mess with you.”

I say goodnight and I go to my room.

Tomorrow, is the night of the eclipse.