Chapter 4: Fallen Heroes

"Tag! You're it!" Little 4 year old Mexico giggled like a maniac as she scurried away from her older brother, whom now was it.

"I'm gonna get you!" She gave out a little squeal as she was hefted into the air by her brother.

"Big brother, that's not fair!"

"Sorry (y/n), but rules are rules!" (b/n) placed her back onto the cool sand. (y/n) placed her little hand in her brother's, walking along the shore as the waves gently lapped on the sand. After a few minutes of only the gentle waves singing, (b/n) spoke.

"(y/n), hermana, sabes que te amo, right?" She giggled, thinking that he was stating the obvious.

"I know you love me big brother! ¡Yo también te amo!" He gave a grunt of approval and continued.

"Then you know I'd die for you and our familia right?" At this, she stopped abruptly, her big (e/c) orbs looking into her brother's.

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"I'm going to join the military."

"But, you could die! Yo no quiero que te mueras."

"I know hermanita, but I have to. I'm too weak right now to protect you. So, when I join the military, I'm going to be strong enough."

"Pero hermano..." she thought about her next words. She knew her brother was as stubborn as her, and wouldn't change his mind. She gave a defeated whimper, pulling him into the biggest embrace her little arms could muster.

"Promise me que tu vas a regresar. Please, promise me you'll live to grow up, to explore the world like we've been dreaming of doing, to get a girlfriend, get married, have kids so I can look after them, so they can call me tia (y/n)." She let out a strangled sob, digging her face into his now wet shirt.

"Oye hermanita, I'm too young for that!" A burst of laughter erupted from him, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm serious big brother!" She gave in to his laughter, giggling at how such a thought of being called an aunt would sound like. They sat down after they had calmed down, (y/n) cuddled in his arms.

"Te amo big brother." She said quietly.

"Yo también te amo little sis." He stealthily reached into his pocket and pulled out a pocket watch. The pocket watch was made out of an antique gold, the cover had the eagle of Mexico's flag. It was obviously a mechanical one because of all the gears that could be seen through the glass. On the back, it read '(b/n) Gomez'.

"(y/n), i want you to have this." She looked up to see her brother holding his most prized possession.

"I won't until you pinky promise that you'll come back." She held out her tiny pinky, waiting for her brother to do the same. His gaze softened and he entwined his pinky with hers.

"I pinky promise."

"Gracias big brother."

A few years later...

"Voy acer brutalmente honesto con ustedes soldados. Today, there is a very big possibility that you will die. You soldiers haven't been able to have the full training, but I know that we will prevail for the sake of our country." The General paced in front of his group of soldiers. He turned to the flag carrier, which happened to be (b/n) Gomez." And you, Gomez. You are to not let the enemy take the flag, at all costs. Am I understood?"