Chapter XI

Chapter 11 out to read. 

I finish packing my bags with a sigh. I was exhausted. All night I had been thinking about how the pack would react to me being Brian's mate. Especially if anyone let my secret slip. I had talked to Brian last night about letting Jack join the Nightshade pack. I had already asked my old friend to come up to my room to talk this morning about the subject.

"Knock, knock. You wanted to ask me something?"

I smile. "Yeah. Where do you think you're headed after this?"

"I don't know. Call my mom and ask where she settled after you told her to leave. Drive out there or get a flight ticket."

"No."

He raises an eyebrow. "Pardon me?"

I smile again. "Call your mom. Tell her to fly back to California and come to the Nightshade territory."

"After what happened? Why would she ever—"

"Tell her Adalynn is the next Luna and I will personally handle any issues my father puts out about it." I look up to meet Brian's eyes as he hugs me from behind. "You will both have a place in the pack at no cost. I will make sure of that."

He gives us an uneasy look. "Jack. You are my best friend. I am not going to sit back, knowing that you are a rogue when I have the option of bringing you into the pack. Please. You know how distrusting I am. You will be safe there. Safer than in hiding."

"Thank you."

He walks out after I hug him, breaking away from Brian. I move to zip my duffle and he sits on the bed. "You're nervous."

I snort. "No." He gives me a knowing look. He wasn't falling for it. "Look. I told you I am over it, but I am meeting your father. He is the man that killed my pack. What is he gonna say when I tell him or you tell him who I am?"

"Nothing to disrespect you," he growls, pulling me into his lap.

I roll my eyes. Overprotective males. I bury my face in his neck, happy there for a moment. I breath in the wonderful scent of pine and fresh rain I could now smell on him due to the mating bond. It was kind of driving my wolf crazy. She wanted to be marked, but I knew it was best to wait. I wanted to know everyone would be safe before we completed the mating process.

He was about to kiss me when the door flies open. "Oh, Adalynn!" Hannah calls in a singsong voice. "Are you ready to meet the pack?"

"Hannah," I groan, at my dark haired friend.

She smirks. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to walk in on something private. I could never image in what it's like, having been walked in on. The embarrassment must be horrible."

I smirk. "You and Nathan were totally getting into it."

Didn't take them very long after that. A few days later Rachel gave us both a dramatic wake up call and found Hannah and Nathan in her room. I could never guess why she had a lovely mating mark on her neck after that. She sticks her tongue out.

I try to move from Brian's lap but he holds me tighter. "Where are you going?"

"I don't know. I mean, it's not like we all need to be at the airport in an hour or anything."

He shakes his head as Hannah leaves. "I think we still have a few minutes, baby."

I tilt my head to the side as I straddle his lap, saying. "I wonder why the girls and Nathan trust me. I mean, Nathan saw me in person with Matthew and Hannah and Rachel have heard stories. I know you only trust me because of the bond. Jake hates even looking at me. I just don't get why they are so loyal. Why don't they think that the kindness I've shown was all false?"

"Don't worry yourself about that. Eventually Jake will come back around and everything will be fine with the seven of us." I start to lean down, then turn my head just before our lips meet, sliding off his lap. "You little tease," he growls at me, standing as well. Before I walk  out of the room he snags my waist. "What kind of gentleman would I be if I let you carry your bag when I am here to do it?"

"One that knows I am perfectly capable of handling my own bags. Let go of me, dork."

"When you give me your bag." I glare but let the matter drop. "Thank you."

-----

Brian guides me into the pack house, showing me to the top floor. Apparently his parents were both out of the house due to more rogue business. I hope this wasn't more monitoring  set by The Master the top floor had very few rooms.

"There are only a few rooms up here. This floor is pretty private. My dads office is up here with rooms for him and my mom, you and me, Rachel and Jake, Jake's parents, Nathan and Hannah, Nathan's parents, and my little sister."

"You have a sister?" He nods. "Well, I guess I'll just have to meet—"

"Brian! You're home!" A girl at about the age of 13 ran over to him and he hugged her, spinning her around a few times before setting her down with a kiss on the forehead. She tuns to me with a gasp. "Are you his mate? You didn't tell me you found your mate." She grins. "I'm Amber. I get my Academy letter this summer! What's your name?"

"Adalynn. I'm sure the only reason Brian didn't say anyting is because the bond only snapped into place on the night of The Hunt. Don't give him too much trouble."

"Amber, don't be giving your brother any trouble."

I stiffen, turning with Brian. "Father," he says calmly. 

"Who is this, if I may ask?"

Brian looks to me. I step foward slightly.  "I am your son's mate, Adalynn Asher."

Confusion crosses his face, replaced by anger immediately after. I wait for his reply to the confession. I knew he would be upset that he was unable to kill me. That I had managed to survive after I escaped the death he handed down.

"You are extremely lucky your Beta hadn't been killed yet. I'm sure you know that if he were dead I would have ripped your throat out as I had planned to."

"So, you would rather I be dead and leave your son mateless than consider that I may not be a threat to you and give Brian the privledge that every wolf should have?" 

He clenches his jaw. I was getting under his skin. Brian puts an arm in front of me. Though I am sure he knew I could handle myself, I knew his wolf only thought about my protection. "I suggest you watch your tone. You are not Luna yet, Asher," he spits. "It will do you well to remember that."

He turns to leave and I touch Brian's shoulder lightly. He relaxes only slightly. I move to face him, noticing his sister had slipped away mid-argument. I wrap my arms around his neck, and his arms come around my waist. He kisses my neck lightly making a million sparks shoot through me. Damn mating bond.

"I can't wait."

"For what?"

"The day you let me mark you. To tell every wolf in the world you are mine." He kisses my collarbone before taking our bags and guiding me to his room. "And all of the things that will come after that."

He shuts the door behind us and I stand on my toes, pulling him down to kiss me. Shifting our positions, he pushes me against the wall behind us. I smirk. He bites my lip gently and I groan. His lips trace over my jaw and neck. He jerks away from me. 

"I can't go any further without marking you." I nod, ignoring my wolf and everything she wants from our mate. "But I'll wait."