Chapter XVIII

I want to quickly thank my friend for making me covers for all three of my books. For those of you that are interested in stories with magic and all that jazz I recommend Elenthornes Academy by Niyalovespink2001.

Recap:

"Alpha! Luna!"

"What's going on, Mason?" Brian asks the patrol lead that had called on us.

"Rogues. Hundreds on the border we left open. We prepared the other side like you told us to. They got tipped off,  Alpha. They know that the Luna has truly sided with us."

-----

Despite his words, I knew that Mason suspected my assistance to our enemy due to my history. Judging by Brian's low growl, I knew he had caught it as well. I rest a hand on his arm, trying to calm him enough to focus. The tension slowly dissipates.

"Let's focus on killing the enemy, not pack members," I mumble. Looking back I find Mason gone, Hannah standing in his place. I see the question in her eyes. The hint of distrust. "This wasn't me. Whoever it was must be very bold."

"Come on!"Jack shouts to the three of us, Rachel and Alysandra on his tail. "Let's try to—"

I break away from them before he can finish his statement, probably saying we should stick together. Jack will always be my friend, but he will never recognize efficiency. In a split second my bones crack and my four paws hit the earth. I see my surroundings with my eyes of silver, my vision brought to a new level, every bird chirping ten times louder. 

My jaw snaps, tearing into throats and exposed bellies of rogue wolves. Blood stains my fur and tastes foul on my tongue. Then they begin to retreat. The rogues sprint away and I spot a few human figures about one hundred yards out. I recognize them well enough. The people who held positions under me. Who used to be under me.

I didn't feel the pain during the fight, but my right hind leg begins to throb steadily. I growl lowly, trying to shake off the pain. A shirt is thrown down on the grass before me, fingers stroking my fur lightly. I am enveloped by my mates scent and I begin to shift back. I slide the shirt over my head. It covered me completely, the hem nearly coming to my knees.

The humans hadn't shown as much modesty as the few pack males around me who had turned their gaze from my bare form. Without any hesitation I move towards the trio in the distance. 

I felt my wolf pacing within me, itching for a fight, ready to tear each of the men in front of me to shreds. I know that my eyes remain silver, but I am able to keep from shifting without trouble. I step away from Brian, a small message of independence. To show them I wasn't weak. I would lean on no one.

"You're trespassing," Brian states calmly. Calm but firm.

Eric ignores his statement, all attention on me. "So you quit being one man's lap dog just to be another's? Interesting."

Before I can speak, Brian steps in defensively. "Adalynn is below no one. As the mate of an Alpha she is the Luna, respected just as much as I am. Mates are, and always will be, equal to one another. I suppose a human could never understand that."

"A speech for the kind-hearted, Alpha," Eric says, using the title as a weapon. "Pathetic words like that won't fool us." 

I force my arms to remain at my sides. "Unless you're here to tell us exactly who has allied with you, then I suggest you get moving."

"Of course, Adalynn," he drawls. "After you tell me one thing."

I approach him slowly. "And what's that?" 

While he kept a neutral expression, I didn't miss the slight flash in his eyes as I lessen the distance between us. He still feared me. My lips naturally curl in a small smirk. He knew coming here would be a danger, yet the fool came all the same. I suppose the coward had to earn his points for bravery somehow.

"What happened to the girl we used to know? What happened to the cold, heartless bitch who left her mark in the home of every kill? You told The Master when you first came to him that the innocent little Adalynn Asher was buried alongside her family. Her pack. You told us all that you would train, become a living, breathing weapon. Unstoppable. Here you are stopping yourself. 

"A family. Is that what you want? You had everything you needed. All you had to do was go out and kill Vennera and his son. Wipe out the pack. It was yours. You had been working so hard. We all are well aware that all of your training was to get revenge. You wanted this pack taken out more than anyone! A few months into the mission and you drop everything. Any future you had is gone, because of love.

"You wear a mask, Adalynn. At first it was a strong assassin that wouldn't take no for an answer, now it's the perfect little Luna, so eager to help her pack." The pack had begun to gather around us. "My real question is simple to answer. You lost one family as a child, what new mask will you slip on, who will you run to, when this pack goes down in flames?"

And, there we are. Sorry about my absence. Hope you enjoyed!