Chapter XII

The ceremony came much faster than I had expected it to. Only two weeks out of school and the six leadership members handed down their positions of leadership to their children and their mates. I stand with my friends in the garden that had been decorated for the ceremony. Many people had been up to Brian and I specifically. After all. I was the newest member of the pack and almost immediately taking a form of leadership. 

"Adalynn, Brian," Brian's father approaches us, "I need to speak with the two of you in private."

I step foward and Brian follows me, rubbing my back. I had already spoken with his parents about the attack that was being planned by The Master and originally myself. It again made the Alpha lash out at me, and again I had to stop Brian from doing anything about it. We reach the Alpha's office and I stop outside the door.

"What's wrong, baby?"

"If he says anything to insult me, don't freak out again. Alright?"

He walks into the office without saying anything. I roll my eyes, following him. "What's all of this about?" Brian asks.

His mother and father make eye contact. "Well, earlier this morning there was a rogue girl found unconscious on our border. We think she may be involved with the attack. The only thing that seems odd about the situation is that there were multiple scents found, but only she was left. The others couldn't be traced. I think your first move as Alpha and Luna should be to question her. I'm sure between the two of you there are strategies that can be thought of to get her to talk."

I smirk. "You looked at me the whole time. Do you think all I'll do down there is torture her? While it wouldn't be hard and I have no issue doing it to someone who deserves it, we need a story first. Not all rogues are evil and want revenge. This girl could be innocent. On the run like I was."

"Eventually they all turn. An offer opens and it will benefit them so they take it. Just like that they are a threat to everyone but their employer."

We both know where the story had drifted to. "I may have history, but I am no threat to this pack."

"Yet."

-----

I walk into the pack prison alongside Brian and Jake. I did my best to ignore the solid glare I still received from Jake. In the fourth right side cell from the entrance was a pale blonde girl. She abruptly stood from her position where she was curled in the back left corner on the small cot provided. The girl appeared to be about the age of fifteen, though it was hard to tell in her state of malnourishment. I approach the bars.

Jake seizes my wrist. "Silver bars," he reminds me calmly.

I nod, stepping back a half-step. "Why were you on the border?" I ask the girl. She flinches at my voice. It was cold. "Why?" I ask more softly.

She meets my eyes, then the boys' a moment later. "I'll only talk to the Luna." 

Brian growls in warning at her demand. "Brian, Jake, we need information. Get out." They both try to argue my safety, surprising me on Jake's  part. "If you want information, get out," I tell them.

"Be careful," Brian whispers. "She's a rogue whether you want to accept that or not."

I roll my eyes. "I can handle myself. Now go." The prison entrance shuts. "Why did you need me alone?"

"I don't want to bother your pack with anything. This was an accident." 

"I asked why you wanted them out of here. You are aware I plan on walking right back out to tell them everything you say anyways. Why do you want them gone?"

"I have bad history with males. I didn't want them interrogating me. You seem nicer."

I laugh. "Oh my. I guess you don't realize that I can hurt you with my bare hands three times more than they can with any of the toys they have in here." I smirk. "I think what your trying to say is that females are less prone to stereotypes than males. Tell me about yourself. And believe me, you can't lie to me. Don't bother trying."

She huffs. "My name is Alysandra Winter. I am sixteen years old I used to live in a small pack in Georgia. I've been running all over with my little brother for years after the pack was overthrown. I hated giving him a life on the road, but it was better than getting us both killed. Kaden and I were hiding about thirty miles from your pack. I was out working, trying to pull us through for another day. Rogues were surrounding the house. I got my brother, shifted, and headed for the forest. They trailed me for miles before..."

The girl looked like she was near tears. I pushed on. "What happened?"

"He couldn't even shift yet. He was nine years old. Nine. They separated us and killed him. I was smart enough to see that if I stayed they would kill me too, so I ran. I was just a few miles from here when about ten of them attacked. I was too weak to take more than three. I guess they thought that whatever you would do to me would be worse than killing me there. They must have knocked me out and carried me to the border for you to find."

A look of confusion crosses the girl's face. "What?" I ask.

"What's that smell? My wolf is going crazy. It's like the wolfsbane just flushed out of my system. It's so weird."

Then the prison door opens.

So, I think we all know what that smell means. I guess you'll just have to see what happens in chapter 13! 

And please, if there are any opinions, I love comments and I have barely gotten any on this story. I am open to judgement and criticisms of any manner if you have nothing pleasant to say, so feel free to be honest if your worried about negative comments bugging me. They don't.

Thank you readers!