Chapter XVI

"Who was that?" Hannah asks. 

"Later."

I scope out the area for any other conspicuous figures that would pose as spies. While I didn't find any of my old companions, I sensed the presence of at least two other wolves. Rogues.

"Please tell me I'm not the only one that smells that," Alysandra says.

I tense, remembering the rogue in The Master's office. "We need to get back to the pack house now."

"Why?" Rachel questions. She sniffs. "Oh."

We all stand at once, moving for the door. Keeping calm enough to not raise suspicion, we exit the building quickly, heading for the car. Afternoon traffic held us back by a fair fifteen minutes, but we made it home no problem.

I walk into the pack house to find it empty on the ground floor. I begin to climb the stairs to Brian's office. I hear murmurs of conversation. "They weren't there. I don't think they ever were."

Nathan's voice.

"You're telling me that Adalynn, Alysandra, Rachel, and Hannah are all missing?"

"We're not missing," I sigh, walking into the office. "It's called, I knew you were going to try to put guards on us if we went to the human mall. Therefore, we told you we were going to the pack mall. I thought you would leave us alone if you knew that. Apparently not. While I want to tell you everything is fine, I honestly can't. I started to go down to the food court without the others and—"

"Why did you separate yourself from the others?" Brian asks immediately.

"Honestly?"

"Yes."

"I'm not the type of girl to be interested in lingerie stores. Anyways, because of that, I headed downstairs without them and ran into an old friend. Lost him quick enough. He still believes I am on their side. What sent us home, was the rogues we all smelled. It didn't really cross my mind as anything too important in the beginning, but it is highly likely that The Master has allied with rogues against your pack."

"In the beginning?" Jack asks.

"Yeah. When I went back to headquarters over winter break and went in to update him on my progress in my assignment against the Nightshade pack he was in the middle of a meeting with a rogue. I was suspicious, but didn't think much of it. I was still against you at the time and didn't mind a little more wolf power.

"I assumed I had just taken things the wrong way when he never brought them up with me. Having now caught the same rogues scent at the mall as well as there I can only assume that with Eric's appearance before that, The Master is protecting himself with wolves. He knows that even if he would be able to catch you off guard by attacking from another side of the territory, wolves are too much for humans."

Brian huffs. "Lovely."

-----

Brian came up to our room late that night. I sigh at the strained look on his face. I knew my own expression was not exactly happy. I walk over, pressing my hand to his cheek. "I want to say this will be easy, but I know that's a lie. And it's my fault."

His downcast eyes snap to mine. "Don't ever say that. None of this is your fault. You wanted a home as a child and took that monster's offer of one. You thought we were against you because of what my father did, but none of the blame can be forced on you, Adalynn."

His lips brush mine before putting more force into the kiss. He walks us over to the bed before sitting down. I easily straddle his lap. He pulls my hair lightly, tilting my head to expose his mark. He kisses it before moving down my shoulder. I nip at his jaw as my fingers work at unbuttoning his shirt. He lets out a low growl as my hands glide over his chest as I make my way down. Just as I start to push the shirt over his shoulders he seizes my wrists. 

Another growl escapes his lips as I squirm in his hold. His eyes had shifted to gold again. He obviously didn't like the fact I had started to take control. Confirming my thoughts, he quickly shifted our position, pinning my body under his. My legs remained on either side of his waist. I understood why he preferred things like this. While it absolutely pissed me off, male wolves, especially strong ones, felt a need to claim the dominance in relationships. 

He finished removing his shirt before pulling mine over my head. He bit down on the mark roughly, drawing a whimper from me. We kiss again, this time his tongue slipping between my lips. My hand came down between us, finding his belt. I fumble with the buckle until he pulls away, propping himself up over me.

His eyes flickered between gold and his normal color before settling into the hazel hue I loved. I sigh, knowing now wasn't the time.  "We should go to bed," he says, seeing my agreement.

After quickly changing and whispering a goodnight, I rest my head on my mates chest. Wrapped in his strong hold, I find myself lulled to sleep by the steady rhythm of his beating heart.