Blood

I hung up the phone and dialed the taxi.

Again more details! My mom just died why do you need to know about a stupid taxi cab ride! All you need to know is my leg was bouncing the whole ride and probably driving the driver insane. And I may or may not have burst through the hospital doors upon arriving. The receptionist gave me a look and I could tell I wasn't the first one to have done it, but she was still irritated by me.

"Are you April Renton?"

I whipped my head towards a lady in a hallway so fast that I should have been concerned about whiplash.

"Yeah."

"I can take you to see your mom if you'd like."

I nodded tersely and forced myself to calm down. We walked down a lot of hallways and took too many turns to count.

Morgue

The word reverberated in my head as we walked through the door. My eyes fell on the body shape covered in a white sheet. The lady walked up next to it and removed the sheet. And there was my mom. Skin paler than normal. But other than that she looked like her normal self. Granted her normal was usually drug induced with her veins sticking out and the saggy face. I closed my eyes and squeezed my hands into fists.

"You can cover her." I breathed out in a shaky voice. I heard the rustle of the blanket and slowly opened my eyes, staring blankly at the wall.

The lady cleared her throat.
"As you know your mother had a history of drug," she paused trying to come up with a less derogatory word, "activity. Based on all the signs we believe there is a high chance that she overdosed. Signs also pointed towards possible suicide."

My head snapped towards her. "Suicide? No. No she would never kill herself."

"The video footage shows her injecting herself with a lethal amount of a yet to be determined drug. We contacted her employer and we were informed that she was fired tonight. We can not know for sure but we can guess that the overdose might have been due to this unfortunate event."

I hadn't noticed how tight my fists had gotten until now. I just needed to punch something. This lady was talking like this was completely normal for a mom to kill herself and leave behind her child with no one else to care for her. That overdosing was completely normal. That everything was going to be fine. I snapped. I whirled around and punched the wall. I watched the wall splinter as part of the wall caved in. I crumbled to the ground and put my head between my knees. I didn't even notice the blood dripping from my knuckles.

"Hey hey hey. Calm down, okay? Do you have any other family we can contact? A father?"

"I-" I paused shocked at how shaky my voice was. "I don't have any other family. And I never found out who my dad was."

"Alright well we will find your birth certificate and you can come with me and get your hand wrapped up."

I look down at my knuckles and saw them drenched in blood. I nodded. My entire body was numb as I followed behind the lady. I don't remember how I got to the room. Or what the lady said to me before she left. Or the other doctor that came in and began to wrap my hand. Or feel the pinch of the needle as they drew my blood.

I just kept seeing my mom laying dead on the table. Covered in a white sheet.

Do you know what it's like to lose someone? And not just anyone. The only person you ever had to lean on and to care for you. The only one to ever tell you it was going to be alright. To lose the only family you have ever had. To know that now that they're gone, you are left completely alone with no one else to turn to.