The Unexpected End

It had been 5 days since Tony had discovered April at Steve's house. He was currently sitting on the ground in his workshop leaning against a table. He chucked a stress ball against the floor where it then ricocheted against the wall and back into his hand. He did it again. His brow was narrowed and he chucked the ball again.

"Are you alright Sir?" The AI's voice pierced through the workshop. "You seem to be experiencing high levels of worry and thought. The latter I'm not used to having come from you."

The ball ricocheted again. "I'm not in the mood JARVIS." He didn't even smile. He caught the ball and squeezed it before sighing. "I'm just going to work on my suit."

He slowly stood up and pulled up the holographic for the Mark XXVII. Tony sighed and ran a hand down his face.

"What if we took the rear thrusters and moved them down an inch." He spoke but his heart wasn't into it.

"Running analysis now." Tony already knew the answer. "That will throw off the balance on takeoffs as well as compromise the extra fuel storage you wanted to place there."

Tony slammed his hand onto the work table and a few papers fluttered down to the ground.

"Would you like to see the solution sir?"

Tony gripped the edge of the table. "The solution?" The suit began to rise out of the ground. "How do you have the solution?

"I did not come up with the solution sir. Nor did I add it to your suit."

"Then why are you trying to show me the suit Jar."

"Because the solution is in the suit sir."

"Quit talking in riddles! Who freaking came up with the solution."

"April did."

Tony froze and his blood ran cold. There was that name again. That same name that wouldn't stop running through his head for the past week. His hands clenched around the edge of the table. Why wouldn't she just stay out of his head?

"Are you alright sir?"

Tony didn't respond for a minute. When he did respond it was with a question of his own as he stood up.

"Where is she?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Where's April? Right now where is she?"

"Her phone's gps is located at the high school."

"School? It's 8 o'clock at night."

"The school website says a talent show is happening tonight."

Tony blinked. He remembered the brief conversation April had had with Steve when he was at the apartment. "She's singing in it."

He raced to the elevator and headed down to the garage. The engine of the car revved and Tony speeded out of the garage towards the high school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"April!"

She whirled around and came face to face with a grinning Sam.

"Sam! Hey what are you doing here?" April said with a grin just as wide as she hugged him.

"I'm performing with a couple of my friends. We're up next."

"That's awesome!"

"What's your talent for tonight?"

"I'm singing." April said with a twinkle in her eye.