04. Both are practically dead.

Brian stared at Violet, slurping down noisily on his cup of mocha, much to her annoyance as she continued her stare-back. After what seemed like hours, Brian decided to speak up. Rather bluntly, if you must know.

"So, you called me to take you away from your lover's brawl?"

Violet's gasp was easily hidden beneath the chaos from the other tables, as the number of people seemed to increase with the night. She hit his arm. "It wasn't a bloody lover's brawl!"

Brian rolled his eyes. "Dream on, princess."

"Can we please talk about something else and not about the person who's my bodyguard and on whom I probably have the biggest crush ever and who thinks that our friendship's his bloody job?!"

"Wow. And I thought I was messed up. Good job, Lavender. You just gave me a confidence boost which I'm sure I didn't need."

Sighing, Violet sipped on her coffee, and winced at the sudden touch of the burning hot liquid on her tongue. The feeling soon faded away, leaving a trail of a soothing caffeine taste.

"I'm just," sip, "trying to," sip, "take," sip, "my mind away," sip, "from Aiden."

"And I'm," slurp, "just your," slurp, "getaway driver?" Slurp, slurp.

Violet shot Brian a glare. "Stop making noise! It's inappropriate!"

"You're such a control freak." Brian laughed at her horrified expression. Weirdly, he found it quite adorable. Not that he'd ever admit it.

Deciding to ignore Brian again, Violet looked away from his annoyingly attractive face to her phone, that had been going nuts with the thousand calls Aiden was making. She had promised herself to not fall for Aiden's I-care-for-you-and-that's-why-I-ratted-you-out craps, well, at least not for that night.

"All I need is to sit upon the table and I'll get the body massage."

Violet looked up from her phone, frowning in confusion at Brian's words. Talk about random, huh?

"Your phone," Brian stated at her expression, "it's vibrating since forever."

She lost her inner battle after that moment. And then again, if Violet didn't pick up the phone, Aiden would probably fly off to Lorvale and grab all the royal guards to find her.

Grumbling under her breathe, Violet slid her thumb across the screen of her expensive phone - she's a princess, duh - and held it to her ears.

"What?"

"Oh, thank Merlin!" Aiden's relieved voice reached her while she tried not to laugh at his words. Damn it! She was supposed to be mad at him, not find his weird obsession with all of Merlin(beard, underwear, legs etc.) cute!

But for all she knew, there was no way she could be mad at him. The previous times they had a fight, over silly things, of course, they were seen chatting each other's head off the next day.

When they had first come to the States, on their freshman year in high school, she and Aiden didn't quite go well together. She didn't like the way he acted towards her, all natural and stuff, as if he didn't know that she was the princess. Yes, call her whatever you want, but all through her life, she had gone through people bowing down to her, and with Aiden being so nonchalant about the fact irritated her.

Granted, after her mother's death, she had not once got the chance to get out of the palace, with her father being desperate to hide the fact that the homicide hadn't killed the princess, only the queen. Violet understood that it was being done to protect her from the lunatics outside, but that didn't mean her heart didn't fidget inside her to just get the hell out.