Chapter Two

Brianna walked home to her small studio apartment that evening, the warm sea breeze blowing her hair about.  Just like that she had breathing room, from a stranger she didn't know at all.  Climbing the stairs to her home above the local tourist trap souvenir shop she put the key in the lock and swung wide the door.    Though the rent was fairly stiff for the small area she had, the view of the coast was magnificent.  

Sunny warm walls greeted her as she tossed her key ring in a small dish by the door, being careful to do up the locks.  Seaside resort town or not, there was a killer on the loose and a girl couldn't be too cautious.    Her apartment was small, a kitchenette to one side with a small stove and refrigerator poured out into the living room and bedroom, with a minuscule bathroom off to the other side.  The best part of this tiny place was her  balcony overlooking Seashell Beach.  

Grabbing a soda from the fridge and an apple, Brianna stepped out onto the deck, just big enough for a chair and small bistro table.  Sitting down she stretched her long legs out and contemplated the surf in the distance.   This time of day tourists typically were in the bars and restaurants, not milling on the boardwalk area below.   Sugar fine sand stretched down to azure water, seagulls crying in the distance.  Here and there a couple or two strolled along the sands, combing for shells.  

Distractedly she sipped her cola and became lost in thought.   Brianna had lost both of her parents in a terrible car accident when she was just out of high school and had had to fend for herself since a very young age.    Though she maintained a relationship with her Aunt, her mom's sister, she spent most of her time in solitude, or working to put herself through school.  This opportunity to work in a seaside town had opened up doors to her, freedom from those who still pitied her in her hometown.  Her college degree was slow work, but she hoped to be finished in a year or two.   Studying to be a paralegal she hoped the new career would allow her to finally save for her own home, instead of a rental.  

Until that evening she'd not thought much beyond the now, but tonight was different.  Tonight a handsome stranger had done her a kindness and helped her to realize life shouldn't be all work and no fun.   Sighing she watched the skies as the sun dipped low, taking a bite out of the apple and closing her eyes, feeling the warm breeze on her skin....

From a safe distance on the beach he watched her.   After waiting in the restaurant a moment he had stepped out to follow her discreetly.   It hadn't been hard, it never was, he chuckled.   Nobody ever paid attention to their surroundings, and he'd never been noticed before.  Thanks to his patience he now knew where this girl worked, and could easily take her whenever he chose.   Again he felt the stirrings....but held back.   Watching her as she relaxed after work he smiled.  He was too smart to be rash or act without a good plan.  Better for him to learn his prey, and learn her well.   When the time came she would never see it coming.     With a last look at the woman on the balcony he turned and walked away, seemingly another beachcomber stargazing.......