Chapter Six

The next few days went by swiftly and without sighting of the mysterious Gareth.   Brianna moved through each day more dully than the last, realizing that her new benefactor may have already left for further travels.   She awoke that cloudy Sunday  morning, her day off, fighting the morose feeling swelling inside.  

Again, for the hundredth time that week she chided herself.   Why had she had such silly romantic thoughts about him?  He'd done her a couple of kindnesses for which she would always be grateful, but to think a man of that level of wealth and sophistication could actually be interested in a small town girl?  She scoffed as she set out for the grocery run she was sorely overdue for.  

Pushing the door of the small store open she smiled a hello to the grocery owner, a wizened older gentleman named Alfred.  "Hey Bree!" He called in way of greeting, "Got some really fresh apricots in today. "    Brianna grinned.   Alfred was one of the only people she knew that would call her Bree.   "Thanks Alfred, I'll take a peek at them"  she said, moving towards the produce on the far wall.  

Selecting several ripe apricots for her basket she then turned to look for a fresh loaf of bread.  Her hand stilled in midair as she saw him standing there.   Gareth wore a black leather jacket with black, form fitting jeans and dark boots.   His eyes rested on hers as he smiled.  Gasping she managed to mumble "H-hi there.  I thought you had left town by now"

Leaning across her he reached into the basket she held and took an apricot out.  Raising it to his face he inhaled the scent of it, then replaced it, eyes never leaving hers.   Smoothly he said, "Oh I had business to attend to out of town, Brianna.  I am in the process of looking at property on the coast. "  His eyes burned into hers with an intensity that had her step back, her heart hammering in her chest. 

He watched her reactions to his nearness, to the surprise of his arrival.  Yes, he smirked, he'd been right to withdraw.   She was close now, close to believing anything he wished to tell her, no matter how outrageous the lie.   By the time she realized she had been deceived it would be far too late and she would be in his clutches, forever.   

The week he had spent preparing for her arrival, readying all he would need.   The nights he had spent watching her every move, learning her and what motivated her, what scared her.  He was an expert on the subject of Brianna by now, and she was clueless to it.   Now was the time to start drawing her in.   He stepped back from her, watching her eyes widen slightly.  "Ah Brianna, if you wouldn't think it too forward of me, if you are free for a drive up the coast?  I'd like to show you the property I'm purchasing."

Brianna felt a warmth wash over her as she looked into the dark pools of his eyes.   A chance to get out of Sail Shores for the day?  And with a man who looked movie-star handsome?  Small alarm bells chimed however.   Really she didn't know this man at all, other than sharing a car ride.   Her brow furrowed, torn between wanting to see the area and being unsure of him.  

She thought about the years of self-denial.  The years of fighting for survival, just trying to get by.  What would a day away from her cares hurt her?   Thus far Gareth had been nothing but a gentleman, so she looked up at him and replied, "That would be nice.  Nice to see something new for a change.  Thank you for offering."

He gently took her shopping basket from her and guided her to the checkout.  Alfred looked up in surprise at Brianna and this imposing man before him.   Again he sneered inside.  Another local seeing him with her.   No matter, he thought impatiently.  The seeds were sown for his being in town, they would never suspect, could never suspect him.  His plans had changed to include air-tight alibis to his location.   He would remain in town after her disappearance, "wrapping up" his real estate closing.    The smart adjusted to the situation, not the other way around.   Dropping a fifty dollar bill in the hands of the store clerk he took the bag from him and held the door open for Brianna.  "This way" he said, leading her to the parking lot, where his car was.  

He placed her small bag of groceries in the back seat and opened the car door for her.   Once she was settled he walked around the Audi and climbed in.  Starting the engine he eased out into traffic, heading north up the coast, out of town.