Chapter Seventeen

It had been hours, or at least it felt that way, Brianna thought, smoothing down the dress she wore again nervously.   It was a simple black sheath dress, cut in a body skimming style that hugged her curves perfectly.   The cut was embarrassingly low, but the exquisite necklace her captor had given her blazed with brilliance above her cleavage.   She'd managed to secure her hair up in a slick bun, but was frightfully self-conscious of the bareness of her throat.   

She looked in the mirror again.  Her wan face stared back, strained with worry and fear.   He'd left her with makeup and she'd applied a light hand, unused to primping herself.  Her life had been work, work and back home.  Tightening her fists she fought down the panic....she loved her life, and  now she was relegated to this, captive with no free will.   

She had managed in her boredom and disquiet, to read the first few chapters of the dreadful book he had ordered her to complete.   Every word repulsed her, directives on how to sit, walk and even speak.  Permission to be asked for everything, it felt like a throwback to Victorian times, when women were chattel, property of their man only.   Sighing, she realized that this is what she had become.   Spirit flashed in her blue eyes....at least, she thought, for now.

She came out to her cramped bedroom as she heard the door locks, carefully lowering her head and folding her hands primly in front of her.   She would play the part, but she would never give up looking for an opportunity.   There had to be a way to secure her freedom! 

He walked in the room, humming a tune to himself.  He stopped in the doorway, breath taken a bit by the sight of Brianna.  Humbly she stood, dressed as he had requested, eyes downcast.  She had never looked more beautiful to him then that moment.   Perfect, he smiled, she was not going to be a disappointment, she was trainable.    He said, "Beautiful, my dear.   Now raise your eyes, and take my hand, I'm bringing you up to dine with me"

Brianna did as requested, forcing her face to remain passive and blank.  She placed her hand in his outstretched one, and didn't flinch as the shock from the cold grip enveloped her.   He led her from her prison for the first time in days, down a long and dark hallway to a flight of oaken stairs, heavily carved with nightmarish faces.    Trembling inside she kept her expression smooth and stepped gingerly up each stair, unused to such finery as the floor length gown she wore. 

Upstairs the room opened up into a  austere living room, with heavy oak trimmed furniture in smooth leather  and thick carpeting on the floor.  An enormous fireplace dominated the living space, a roaring fire crackling gaily with snaps and hisses.   The ceilings were easily 10 feet tall, with matching windows dressed in exceedingly old fashioned red velvet drapes.   She could see the night outside and had an impression of heavy forests.   Frowning, she was confused.  She'd assumed he held her at that beach house he'd showed her, but clearly this wasn't the case.  Where was she?   Trying not to show her horror, she followed him through this room and into a dining room that could only be described as medieval. 

A twelve foot long wooden table stood before her, another large fireplace blazing away in the room.   Candles lit the area with a dim glow and she noted with alarm there was only one table service.   As if reading her mind Gareth said, " I have prepared a dinner for you,I have eaten my own dinner earlier.  I will sit with you while you dine, and you are free to speak to me."

Stutteringly as he held the massive chair back for her she replied, "Th-thank y-you, Sir. "  The food on the plate before her smelled divine and a crystal goblet of deep red wine sat at her place.   Looking around the room she commented, "This isn't the same place you brought me to the other day Sir.  It's much darker. "

He smiled.  She looked like she belonged here, and pride swelled within him.  Answering her softly he said, "Yes my dear this is my true home, where I can be myself.  I have never brought anyone here before, and it's been a long time.   This is my preferred aesthetic, and you match it, perfectly."

Looking at the throat so bare before him he sought to control his darker urges.   She would be willing, completely willing before he would enjoy that particular treat.     His eyes blazed as he fought the desires within and he saw her tense as she met that gaze.

Brianna shook inside at the look.  Gareth looked at her if she was a meal and he wanted to eat her up.   Inwardly she cried, horror-stricken....what new terrors would she face, captive of this monster?    Trying not to bolt from the table she lifted her wine glass and took a large swallow. How she would escape she couldn't say, but escape him, she must.  Clearly her life depended upon it.....