Chapter Twenty-Seven

The days came and went, time passed.   Brianna was never allowed from the expansive mansion and soon lost track of how long she was imprisoned by her captor.   Although her initial excitement of escape had filled her mind for many days eventually the reality set in.  She was never allowed anywhere without him, and always when she assumed it was nighttime. 

Often Gareth would lock her in her basement room and be gone for long periods of time.   When he returned he would allow her to access rooms in which he was in only, and never allowed her near the windows or doors.   Since that terrible night he'd bitten her, he'd made no other moves toward her,  and kept his distance.   Longer the time passed, and Brianna's determination to extract herself from this nightmare began to dim.   

It was as he predicted, as the time drew on and weeks turned into months he saw the resignation overtake the girl.   Each day that passed drew her closer to his goal, creating another in his likeness so that together they could rule the weak world of the human race.   The only annoyance to him  was the occasional pestering from the detective.  She had never let go of her belief that his wife was his unwillingly, and often popped in to his courtroom to sit and watch him grimly.  

Several times he sat on his bench and watched her covertly.  Her mane of flaming hair never escaped his notice, but she would never have been the clay he needed.  Brianna was perfect for his needs, and soon she would be his in every way.   Seated in his home office he smiled.  It had been three months since he'd taken her, and each day he saw the light of hope dying in her eyes.  If only she understood how life was about to open to her, he mused, eyes taking in the night outside his window.   Only recently back from a hunting trip he was sated with his meal, an unfortunate drifter who had stopped to ask him for a ride on his way back home.   

A bit too easy, really, he thought; but in the end, a meal was  a meal.    Gareth liked the hunt, like to see the terror in his victim's eyes when they realized what he was.   Hundreds of years of practice had made him an effective and brutal killer, and his particular ability to charm was especially useful.  Very few of his meals ran or tried to escape, so exceptional was he in his abilities.   

 Rising from his seat he took to the stairs, following them down to her basement room.  Time to begin her transformation he decided, it would be safer for her with his hunger dulled.  Smiling with razor sharp teeth he strode purposefully toward her door, eyes gleaming.   Never again would Brianna see a sunrise, but her world would be opened to her in ways she would soon appreciate.  Tapping the door code into the lock he stepped inside,  seeing how she jerked up from her bed, blue eyes raised to his in immediate alert....