Chapter Twenty Five

Brianna shook as if she had fever.  Standing in the elaborate master bathroom putting on makeup with a trembling hand she fought a wave of sickness off.   Their lives depended upon her acting ability.   She knew now, knew that for her, she was a lost cause.  There was nothing she could do to save herself, but she could prevent the unnecessary death of others.

The monster had led her to the master bedroom the following day and she could not tell if it were morning or afternoon, as all of the heavy drapes were drawn.   She now knew that he could not be in direct sunlight, so was not surprised when she could not look outside.    Carefully she applied foundation to the two punctures on her neck, disguising them from curious eyes.   A application of lip gloss, and she was ready.   Ready to put on the show she knew the creature wanted her to put on.

She could not bring herself to say his name, or think the word of what he truly was.   Dazed and shocked she left the marble and gold bathroom and donned the dress he'd set out of her.  Flowing around her, it was the color of sea foam, the bodice tight and the skirt like a cloud, swirling about her legs like ocean caps.   Her hair was brushed straight and left loose, another camouflage for her neck. 

Stepping into silver stilettos she took several deep breaths.   Somehow she had to play the part of adoring lover to that, that thing.   Her heart raced, she felt her breath coming in quick gasps.  How could she do it, she cried inwardly.   Her mind centered on the police detectives already seated downstairs.  She could hear Him murmuring to them in that hypnotic voice he had.  

Knowing he wouldn't like her to take too much time Brianna swung wide the door and descended the grand oak staircase, every nerve on edge.    She stepped into the library and He saw her, raised his hand and beckoned her to his side, a smile upon his lips.   She pasted a bright smile on her face and strode forward with far more confidence than she felt, eyes on the two detectives rising from the couch. 

"Detectives, I'd like you to meet my wife, Brianna"  Gareth said, his dark eyes on her.   He burned from the remembered taste of her, and it was all he could do to control himself in that moment.  She was a vision in the dress he'd bought her, and looked every bit the part of doting wife as she stepped up to him.  "Detectives, pleased to meet you" she said, no trace of waver in her voice. 

Savannah and Mike exchanged a quick glance as the new Mrs. Viscardi moved across the room.   She was a stunning vision in her blue cloud looking dress, her diamond ring catching the light and twinkling brightly.   Savannah took the proffered hand, glancing at Judge Viscardi.  Impassive, he gave off a serious vibe she couldn't quite place.    She turned her attention to Brianna, her green eyes searching.  "Brianna are you ok?" She asked softly, watching covertly as Viscardi stiffened ever so slightly. 

Brianna felt the small squeeze the pretty detective gave her hand, a question in the strong grip.  Every sense and nerve in her screamed for help, but she denied herself.  To allow her terror to pour forth would end them all.  Collecting herself she said firmly, "Of course I am Detective.  I'm only unsure why you would need to come see us?"

Mike nodded, stepped in.  "Very sorry Ma'am, but you just left your life.  Folks got worried about you and can't say as I blame em.  You left in a pretty big rush.  Kind of spur of the moment was it?"

Brianna had had several hours to prepare for the question.  She reached out for the creature's hand, taking his cold one in hers.   "Well, honestly it happened very quickly, and I didn't want all the attention.  I knew how well known Gareth is and I am a very private person.  Probably I should have told someone I was leaving, but at that point I just wasn't thinking."

Gareth smiled, inclined his head towards her.  She was doing well, very well, he mused.  He turned his eyes towards the female cop.  He'd seen her in court a few times, and he knew how dogged she was.  He could see her working through it, see her cop's mind churning.  

Savannah watched this little show, and knew, knew too well it was just that, a show.  Looking at Brianna in the eyes she said smoothly.  "You wouldn't happen to have any type of drug problem, would you Mrs. Viscardi?  Because we found something in your apartment to suggest you may have been drugged.  So if you left willingly, as you say, seems like you have some issues maybe?"

She saw the reaction, covered quickly by Brianna.  The flinch she made, the way Viscardi's hand tightened on the hers.  "Of course not!" Brianna snapped out, a bit too rushed, a bit too eager.   Yeah, Savannah thought, there was something off about this.  Not that she could prove it now, but, given time, she would.  

Now the Judge stepped in briskly.  "I think that's enough Detectives.  I was under no requirement to allow you an interview with my wife, and I won't tolerate you're insulting her in this way.  I'll ask you to leave, immediately."  

Gareth seethed inwardly as he saw the smirk on the woman's mouth.  In one move he could snap her neck, or rip her throat out.  The jumped up fool, she should be glad he kept his cool. It was in that moment that Savannah saw him, saw the evil lurking inside.  She stepped back, hands raised a bit.  "Easy there Sir, Nobody's trying to insult Brianna.  We're just doing our job, making sure she's ok.  You know yourself, pretty girl goes missing without a trace around here, normally she's done for."

Adopting the placating tone she and her partner made their exits quickly.  As they drove down the tree-lined drive to the massive iron gates however, Savannah turned to Mike and said, "There's something really wrong here."

As Mike waited for the gate to slide noiselessly open, he agreed.  "We both know there's something not right, but we also know there's not a damned thing we can collar him on. We gotta keep digging, because no way that girl is really happy.  A good stiff breeze'd knock her over."

Leaving the mansion behind they fell into silence.   Savannah looked out over the rapidly darkening landscape....how could they find a way through to Brianna?  There had to be some way....there was no way that girl was there of her own accord....