• 6 •

Harrison doubled over. "What was that for?"

"Making sure it works," Carrie teased, patting his brand new chest protector that came in today from Rawlings.

"I definitely felt that."

The new catchers gear added to the two sets he already had for this season. One set was completely grey for when they wore their road grey. The other was all blue that he wore when they wore their blue alternate jersey on the road, and when they played at home. His new gear was blue at the shoulders and top of the chest, but quickly turning into a white ombré towards the bottom.

 His new gear was blue at the shoulders and top of the chest, but quickly turning into a white ombré towards the bottom

It was sweet. To top it off, right under the collar was his Gold Glove patch. Harrison won his first Gold Glove last year, beating out great catchers like Buster Posey, and Yadier Molina.

"I really like it," she admitted.

"Me too."

With the new catchers gear came a sponsorship from Rawlings which he happily accepted. He would get paid to wear Rawlings gear, use a Rawlings glove, and use Rawlings bats.

Harrison dug through his locker and found his beloved black catchers glove with dark brown laces. "It even matches the patch on my glove."

He had the same Gold Glove patch on the back of his glove. "Why don't you go win another one this season?"

"How about I will?"

"Good. Now get out there and get warmed up. The ceremony's going to start soon."

With his mask in one hand, Harrison quickly kissed her before running up the stairs from the clubhouse to the dugout.

⚾︎⚾︎⚾︎

Carrie made her way onto the field a few minutes later. The Cubs played their home opener against the Dodgers. Before the game, last years returning players would receive their World Series rings.

Snapping the 108-year championship drought was huge to Cubs fans. The organization then hosted a contest where fans submitted a video to potentially win a chance to be a Cubs ring bearer for the ceremony.

20 fans were selected for tonight's ceremony. Carrie had an opportunity to meet some of them, and hear their stories. She stood towards the dugout with the rest of the players families as the Cubs players began walking out of the left field entrance.

Harrison and Kris carried the World Series trophy while the rest of the team followed. For tonight's game the players numbers were gold with a blue outline inside of the traditional blue with a red outline.

As the players and the World Series trophy made their way towards the infield, the fans now began to sing the infamous song, Go, Cubs, Go! that had become widely popular again after the comeback World Series victory against the Indians.

The trophy was set on a podium as the players headed down in the dugout for the ring presentation. One by one, each players name was announced and they ran out to meet their ring bearer.

Harrison was the fourth one to be announced after Jake, Kris, and Anthony. As his walk up song played, he jogged out of the dugout, past her, and too meet the young girl that was his ring bearer.

He accepted his ring in a shiny wooden box. Then he knelt down next to the girl for a picture.

His eyes scanned the crowd for her. After giving the girl a high five, he spotted her walking out from behind Jason Heyward's family.

"There you are. Want to get a picture?"

"Sure."

Harrison found the nearest photographer. He put an arm around her while she put hers around him and leaned against his side. They each held the ring box with one hand for the picture.

Then they found his parents for a picture. After that, she gave him a quick kiss and he joined his teammates at the mound for a picture with the World Series trophy and their rings.

So I'm working on chapter 8 of this book and I want to do something monumental. And it has to do with Carrie and baseball. Can anybody guess?