• 10 •

Morale was at a record low in the Cubs clubhouse. They got swept by the Pirates, but were able to rebound against the Reds. But the Reds weren't the Brewers, the team leading the NL Central.

"Why are you all so worked up?" Carrie asked as they jogged around the warning track in PNC Park. Tomorrow, they would open another 3 game series against the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

"We lost 4 of our last 6 games. We got swept by the Pirates. And we could barely beat the Reds. We should be beating these teams, and if we don't, we're not going to make the playoffs."

"Harrison, you've only played 18 games. Out of 162."

He sighed. "I know that. We're just not playing up to our potential."

"It's only April. Regular season ends in the first few days of October."

They took another lap. "I want to make the playoffs again."

"It's too early to be worrying about that. You guys are the best team in the Central. So what if the Brewers lead it for a little bit? There's the entire season left, and I don't think they have the depth to hold out on top for the entire season."

"What if they do?"

Carrie rolled her eyes. "You don't need to be worrying about this right now. Play your game."

"I want to win the division. I don't want to be playing in the Wild Card. I don't want one game to make or break our season."

"I agree. The Wild Card should be three games. Not one. But now that we're here," she said gesturing to the entire ballpark. "Beat up on some Central rivals and inch closer to the Brewers."

⚾︎⚾︎⚾︎

They went for a hike before the 7:05 game. The city of Pittsburgh was surrounded by mountains. So they hiked up the most famous one, Mount Washington. Carrie said she was tired of sitting around before the games were supposed to start, so she suggested they go do something.

He was quite glad he agreed to go hiking before the game because the view at the top of Mount Washington was amazing. From the top of the mountain, they could see the entire city of Pittsburgh cradled in between the mountains.

They could see the Allegheny River and the Monongahela River, and where it came together to from the Ohio River.

Cramped in between the two rivers, was downtown Pittsburgh. All of the city's skyscrapers were squished in between the two rivers.

On the far side of the Allegheny River, they could see PNC Park, where he would be playing tonight. Further down the river and closer to where they were, was Heinz Field, where the Steelers played.

Carrie wearing all of her Cubs gear, stepped in front of him. "This is why Pittsburgh is my favorite road trip."

Harrison put his arms around her. "Mine too. Because PNC Park is so nice, and down the lines it's a hitters park."

"You think you could put one out of the stadium and into the river?"

"Well, I'd have to be batting lefty. It's only 320 feet in right field, but then you have to get it over the 21 foot wall and up probably another 70 feet to get it over the bleachers, then you have-"

"Enough with the stats, do you think you could do it?"

"If I got my pitch."

⚾︎⚾︎⚾︎

Carrie had come to Pittsburgh with him so many times on road trips, but every time it seemed to be even more beautiful. The stadium sat on the bank of the Allegheny River. And behind it was downtown Pittsburgh. For a 7:05 game, the sun set against the buildings, creating a beautiful shadow.

 For a 7:05 game, the sun set against the buildings, creating a beautiful shadow

The Cubs and Pirates both went 3 up and 3 down in the first inning. But the second inning brought up Harrison as the second batter.

Anthony Rizzo got walked to kick off the top of the second, bringing up Harrison with a runner on. He stepped into the batters box to face the Pirates right handed ace Gerrit Cole.

⚾︎⚾︎⚾︎

Harrison watched two pitches miss outside for balls. Then the next one. Now he was going to get a good pitch. Cole definitely didn't want to put two runners on for Addison Russell, who also hit with a lot of power.

It was a meatball right down the middle. And Harrison didn't miss. He finished his swing and watched with the crowd and players as the ball sailed over the right field bleachers.

He flipped the bat and started his home run trot. As he made his way around second base, he noticed the replay of his home run being shown on the scoreboard.

The ball totally cleared the stadium and bounced off the small grassy hill behind PNC Park, and into the Allegheny River with a splash.

"Cannonball coming," Harrison muttered under his breath as he rounded third base and gave the third base coach a high five. It was something the Pirates broadcasters were famous for every time a Pirate hit one out.

He stepped on home plate and tipped his helmet in the direction of where Carrie was sitting. He always did that after a home run.

Then he met Anthony and Addison standing a few feet away from home plate. "Dude that was crushed!"