Chapter Two-The Death of the DeFeos

Quote: "There's nothing like it on the market. Not at this price", unquote, (Mrs Townsend, Amityville Real Estate Agent talking to George and Kathy Lutz, about the low price of the haunted house, "The Amityville Horror", (1979).

***

TRANSCRIPT OF THE RONALD DE FEO MURDERS-PHONE CALL-November 13, 1974

(EDITED VERSION)

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Suffolk County Police. Can I help you?".

JOEY YESWIT: "Hah!".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "This is the Suffolk County Police. May I help you?". The man has entered the Dutch Colonial home at 112 Ocean Avenue, after seeing the dead bodies inside the house. Ronald DeFeo has left.

JOEY YESWIT: "We have a shooting here. Uh...DeFeo".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Sir, what is your name?". Joey is agitated. He is sweating. He doesn't want to be here...yet he's drawn to the phone.

His right hand is shaking.

JOEY YESWIT: "Joey Yeswit".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Can you spell that?", the Operator asks. Joey controls his breathing; he controls his muscles that are in his hands, so that he can do the job that needs to be done. It is late in Amityville; it is very late.

JOEY YESWIT: "Yeah. Y-E-S-W-I-T".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Y-E-S...". The Operator finishes taking his name down. And types down the Police Incident Report on her typewriter.

JOEY YESWIT: "Huh?".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Y-E-S...".

JOEY YESWIT: "Y-E-S-W-I-T". He is angry now. But he rolls his eyes. He struggles with his own phone; he struggles to understand the situation he found himself in.

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "...W-I-T. Your phone number?".

JOEY YESWIT: "I don't even know it it's here...There's...uh...I don't have a phone number here". He was agitated again.

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Okay...where are you calling from?".

JOEY YESWIT: "It's in Amityville. Call up the Amityville Police. And it's off...uh...Ocean Avenue in Amityville".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Ocean Avenue...Offa where? Austin".

JOEY YESWIT: "It's right off Merrick Road...Ocean Avenue".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Merrick Road...What's the problem, Sir?".

***

THE CONVERSATION CONTINUES...Part 2

***

JOEY YESWIT: "It's a shooting!".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "There's a shooting...Anybody hurt?".

JOEY YESWIT: "Huh?".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Anybody hurt?".

JOEY YESWIT: "Yeah...it's uh...uh...everybody's dead".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Whataya mean everybody's dead?". Fear overtakes the Operator; Joey Yeswit is calm, as well.

JOEY YESWIT: "I don't know what happened. Kid come running in the Bar. He says everybody in his family was killed...And we came down here".

AMITYVILLE PHONE OPERATOR: "Hold on a second...Sir". The Operator tells her Bosses. A male Amityville Police Officer takes over the case...as the beginning of The Amityville Horror slowly began to send shivers down the spines of all of the Police Officers who heard Joey Yeswit's phone call late that night.