Chapter 8 - The Mistake

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining, birds were chirping really loudly-oh wait that's just Naruto and Sasuke arguing. Sakura sighed, looking down at the ground. Was it that hard for them to shut up for 5 minutes?

    They had been walking for hours, and the pinkette had a headache. Hey! There was a puddle, she could splash her face with the water!

    Sakura crouched down in front of the puddle and cupped her hands to splash some water on her face. But when she lowered her hands into the water the puddle disappeared. Instead, two masked shinobi appeared and then it all went dark.

.

.

    "Oi. Sakura wake up." Said Sasuke in a monotone voice. Sakura groaned, and then opened her eyes. Blinking a few times to get adjusted to the light.

    "What happened?" She asked.

    "Some rogue Chunin knocked you out dattebayo! So we knocked them out back! But before that Kakashi-sensei pretended to die and then after that, I almost did die..." Naruto trailed off, "But we're all still alive and most of us are still mentally capable,"  Naruto looked pointedly at a certain drunk old man. Sakura was about to ask him to go into detail but decided against it.

    "Oh and by the way. We're being targeted by a tycoon named Gato, according to Tazuna he's a tall midget...I'm not sure how that works though," Naruto rambled. Sakura sweatdropped and looked to Sasuke and Kakashi for clarification.

    "There's not much more to say, he pretty much summed it up." Said Kakashi as he motioned for the group to continue walking.

_________________________________________________________

    "Ne, Sasuke, Naruto?" Said Sakura. Sasuke "hn"-ed in reply. "Do you feel like someone's following us?"

    "Hm..." Naruto said as he looked around suspiciously. Then he jumped and threw a kunai into a bush. Sasuke and Sakura eyed the bush warily, waiting for something to jump at them. And something did.

    "AHH! Kill it!"

    It just wasn't what they were expecting.

    "I'm sorry Mr. Rabbit! I didn't mean to attack you!" Naruto said as he squeezed the life out of the poor snow rabbit.

    "What are you doing Naruto?! Let go of that little monster!" Sakura screeched, hiding behind Kakashi.

    "Eh? But it's so cute! Here, I bet once you hold him you'll feel better!" Naruto held out the rabbit to his pink haired teammate. Who in response, screamed and jumped sky high.

    "G-Get that vile creature away from me!"

    "Why're you scared of rabbits Sakura-chan?" Naruto asked, putting the rodent down.

    "Pfft, whaaat? Who said I'm scared?"

Sasuke stared at both of them with an unreadable expression. Kakashi on the other hand was looking around. Then his eyes widened and he yelled,

"Duck!"
    "Ha! I told you someday someone would mistake your hair for a duck! Don't worry Kakashi-sensei, it's only Sasuke-teme!"

Sasuke suddenly tackled his teammates to the ground as a huge sword embedded itself into the tree behind them. If they had moved a second later...RIP

"Copycat Kakashi, no wonder Meizu and Gozu failed." Sasuke turned to the direction of the voice. Standing on the sword that almost decapitated them was a man.

The first thing Naruto noticed about their attacker was his questionable clothing choice. Seriously, cow print arm warmers and pajama pants? Even Rock Lee wouldn't be caught dead in that getup.

"Momochi Zabuza, one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. If I'm going to be fighting you I'll need this." Kakashi lifted his forehead protector to reveal the Sharingan in his right eye. Then he charged at Zabuza.

Sasuke could only watch in disbelief and confusion. What the hell was going on? Sakura looked over to her raven-haired companion, seeing a non-Uchiha with the Sharingan must've been a blow to his pride. She placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure Kakashi-sensei will explain afterwards. But for now, let's focus on not dying at the hands of an A-rank missing-nin. How does that sound?" Sasuke looked over his shoulder to Sakura, the corners of his mouth twitching up slightly. Yes, not dying sounded like a great idea.

    "Sakura-chan, Sasuke, I don't have a problem with you two getting together but could it wait until we're not in a life-threatening situation?" Sakura and Sasuke both froze up.

    "Shut up Naruto-baka! We're not like that!"

    The three of them then realized that it was quiet. Too quiet. Naruto's eyes widened in horror, they were the only three there. Zabuza, Kakashi, and Tazuna had disappeared from under their noses.