Chapter 3: Back to School; A Wish (2/2)

A familiar landscape spread out below me like paint spilled on a canvas. Recognizing the start of another dream, I looked at my body and found that I was still human. After an exhilarating dive through the air, I once again plunged into the mountain lake. The same mountains and trees greeted my eyes when I surfaced. I splashed my way to the shore and flopped down on the beach, letting the sun warm my face. The real world seemed so far away to me. I was back, and ready for whatever adventures the dream had in store.

A soft, rhythmic sound caught my attention. I sat up and looked behind me to see a welcome silhouette. Rofar padded out from between the dense trees to meet me. He angled his head in greeting, looking happy to see me again. The brilliant reflections of his scales made me squint slightly to look at him. I smiled and stood up.

"You probably already know this, since you're pretty much just a character inside my head," I said to him, "but the time I get to spend here with you is by far the best part of my day. Really, it's the best time I can remember having my whole life. I guess what I mean to say is thank you for letting me experience the joys of being a dragon here with you."

"There is no need to thank me," he said, "when the nature of the dragon has been within you since the beginning. I only guided you through your own awakening of sorts. That is all."

"Er...okay, well, thanks anyway," I said. "So, what are we going to do this time?"

He swished his tail thoughtfully and took a few steps past me to look out across the glassy water. "Command of the air is the foremost skill for a young dragon to learn," he said, "so I think some more flying lessons are in order."

"Alright," I said, some excitement showing in my voice. I was eager to get back the freedom I felt when I first flew through the air with Rofar. But I was still human, and unsure how to transform into my dragon form. "It's just..." I began, "I don't know how to go back to being a dragon."

"Ah yes," Rofar looked back to me and smiled, "I got a bit ahead of myself. Do you remember what you felt before your first transformation? There is a powerful spirit within you that you alone can summon. If you imagine yourself as a dragon, that is what you will become."

"Imagine myself as a dragon," I thought to myself. "Well, that's not too hard. I hope this works." The strange, warm feelings started in my chest as I imagined the scales, claws, and wings of my dragon form. I pictured myself standing proudly on the rocky shore, my red scales glinting like a million rubies in the daylight. It was happening.

I closed my eyes as the tingling spread throughout my changing body. I was ready for the changes, even willing them to go faster. In just a short time, my transformation was complete. I stood on my four powerful legs, breathing a little quickly with excitement. After the numbness subsided, I used my longer neck to look back over myself. My body responded to every command. I tried moving my wings and tail, feeling their natural, familiar presence as part of my body.

Rofar then led me through the promised flying lesson. We practiced gliding to conserve energy, using air currents to reach dizzying heights with ease. He showed me how to perform sweeping spirals and tight turns with precision and grace. After a long while in the air, we dove into the lake to cool off with a swim. When I shook myself dry back on shore, I had a gigantic, toothy smile plastered on my muzzle.

The blue dragon looked pleased as well. "Well done, Ayreth," he said. "You proved yourself most adept at flying. It was a joy to see you ride the wind as a dragon should."

"Thanks for your help," I replied, still buzzing with the adrenaline high left by the flight. "Wow, I can't even describe how amazing it felt up there. You know, Rofar, it's time for me to just say it, I wish I could stay like this. I would give anything. My life has been a bit of a drag recently, and I seriously have been searching for something to keep me from slipping into some kind of depression. These dreams are great, but they always have to end. I've been spending almost every waking moment thinking about being back here. That's the truth."

I finished my lament with my gaze cast down at my forepaws. After I stopped speaking, I slowly looked up and met the other dragon's bright blue eyes. He looked at me in thoughtful silence for a long time, staring at me with an intensity equal to that first time we locked eyes across the lake. I felt as if he was somehow looking deep into my inner psyche and reading things that I couldn't even articulate. Finally, he spoke.

"This was always your destiny," he intoned, his azure eyes still fixed on mine. "You have chosen the life of a dragon. Live it well."

Before I could respond, the dream started to fade. Unable to move, I could only watch as the world collapsed in on Rofar until only his face remained. After a split second, it too was swallowed by the impenetrable black. In the darkness, I was alone. It was just me and the rhythm of my breath. In. Out. The darkness remained. I was aware enough to realize I was back in my bed with my eyes still closed. But something felt very different.

While the dream-fog dispersed, my senses trickled back into my awareness. I shifted slightly under the sheets. There was something pressing uncomfortably into my back. I growled in annoyance. The deep rumble that came from my throat startled me. "Did I just make that sound?" I thought. "What's going on?" I had been keeping my eyes closed in hopes of going back to sleep, but I didn't see that happening. So I slowly cracked them open. What I saw nearly made my heart stop.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!